1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing struts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 4UKBLUE, Aug 16, 2013.

1. 4UKBLUE

4UKBLUE New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am told my 06 Prius (140K) needs new struts all around (never been replaced). Two questions: Is it worth it (around $1000) and will I see a significant improvement in ride and handling?

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    it can't be any worse than it is.

if you are planning to keep your car for a while, then I would do it.

I think the ride will be stiffer in the beginning and then it will feel better.

I am assuming the ride now can be a little bouncy when going over bumps.

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who told you so? The stealership?

Unless your Prius has been wearing out tires prematurely (cupping or scalloping) or if the struts or shocks are leaking, you probably don't need to replace them yet.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based upon my experience owning three Prius, I would say it is highly likely that your Prius with 140K miles logged on the odometer would benefit from new front struts/rear shocks. Ride and handling are based upon a subjective perception, but I think you will see some improvement.

If you see substantial oil stains on the components, that might provide further motivation for you to have the job done sooner vs. later.

$1,000 for the four is on the high side. The job is quite labor-intensive and you may want to shop around to see if you can get a better price.

I have posted previously on how to replace the front struts and rear shocks in case you want to see what is involved.

andyg likes this.
  5. MaryRichmond

MaryRichmond New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just given $1640 fro my 2005 (120 mi.) Prius they said 1leaking, as I had oil chg at my tires shop today...is that high$? It’s the 1st time I’ve had any work other than tires, oil $ battery on it, so wonder if this is start of things going downhill on a vehicle worth only $3500 now?

6. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mary your Pri is 14 years old with 120K mi. It's not unreasonable for you to need new struts at this time. The tell tale sign of oil residue on the strut or adjacent components is a clear indication of a failed or failing strut. Think of struts as tires, they are a wear item. I would not include worn struts on any list of repairs that would suggest your Pri is heading downhill.

As Patrick indicated above there is a fair amount of work to replace all four struts. Break out the labor from the components and wheel alignment pricing in your estimate and you will see. You can call around a get other estimates as this is a very common repair for most shops dealership or indy.

One consideration, if you can wait a few weeks, Monroe normally runs a Shock-tober sale where they offer rebates on their shock and strut products. This may take some of purchase pain out for you but I'll bet a significant portion of your estimate is labor related.