1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing the 12 volt auxiliary battery Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JustBreathe, Jun 6, 2012.

1. JustBreathe

JustBreathe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Everybody :)

I took some photos to illustrate to those who are looking to change your own Prius battery (12 v)
    My aux battery went out on my Prius today. Conked out cold. I jumped my car with my cables with my other car to confirm that it was the aux battery. Then I called my buddy and he told me that only the dealer stocks it..and for $216 dollars (total). They wanted another $50-60 to install it..I never replaced a Prius battery before but I decided to do it myself. The battery came in a special box looks like a Japanese gift box. Toyota of course had to make the battery area in a very confined space in the rear.

I thought I could work on it without taking my car apart. No can do..about 10 minutes in I had to take the trunk apart, remove everything..This isn't like a normal battery you remove the screws and lift out and plop in..this is slightly more involved. Once I took everything apart it was quite easy..would be a lot faster had I known I should have removed everything first. You will need a socket ratchet, w/a 10, 12, and a wrench to remove the screw from the battery terminals.

Have fun, hope you enjoy, it's not that difficult. I guarantee you will enjoy doing it.

Now I just have to change the time on the clock ;)

photo.JPG image_12.jpeg image_10.jpeg image_8.jpeg image_7.jpeg image_6.jpeg image_5.jpeg image_4.jpeg image_3.jpeg image_2.jpeg image.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg image_11.jpeg

olerox likes this.