1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing the front seat belt receiver

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by balmeral, Oct 21, 2011.

1. balmeral

balmeral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I am a newbie to this site and I have been so amazed at the depth of knowledge and willingness to share here @ prius chat. I recently tried to put on my seat belt and it will not click into the receiver. Toyota says that some parts in the receiver are broken and it will be 108 for the receiver and probably 300 more for the labor. So I got a good used receiver for my year but I cannot find anywhere documenting the procedure to put this in. Has anyone done this, and do you have any tips or tricks? Thanks!

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I haven't replaced this part, but I've had the drivers seat out a couple of times and I have removed the seat belt receiver from the seat.

The basic steps:

1. Disconnect the 12V battery. You need to do this to disable the airbag(s), one of the air bags is in the seat back. Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the battery before working near the airbag(s).

2. Slide the seat all the way forward in its tracks, pop off the plastic trim pieces covering the brackets which bolt to the floor, and remove the two bolts which bolt the seat to the floor behind the seat.

3. Slide the seat all the way back in its tracks. The bolts are not hidden at the front. Remove both bolts. Look under the seat for some electrical connectors. The yellow one is the connection to the air bag, one is the connection for the seat belt warning and one is the connection for the seat position sensor. You need to disconnect all of the connectors between the floor and seat.

4. Remove the seat from the car through the front door - be careful not to scratch the door jams or the door panel - it is a little unwieldly but not too heavy.

5. Once you have the seat out of the car, you can unbolt the seat belt receiver from the seat. You will need to remove the electrical harness from the seat also to get the seat belt receiver off.

6. Installation is the reverse of removal. :madgrin:

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My belt receiver also broke. I found you can still use it if you push down on the release button while pushing the buckle into the receiver.