1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing the Ignition Starter Immobilizer Switch question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by re-evaluating, Mar 8, 2024.

1. re-evaluating

re-evaluating New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I am a newb to Prius looking for some help. I searched but nothing related comes up with the terms I am using. I recently purchased a 2004 Prius with only 45k miles, government owned since new with extensive service records. I only got one FOB (black) and it is worn pretty badly. I began looking for an additional FOB and it got me thinking which is often dangerous.
    So my question is if I replace the Ignition Switch (FOB Slot) with a unit (and FOB) from a SMART (Silver logo FOB) car, would the start function without inserting the FOB work? I obviously understand that I will NOT have any other of the Smart functions and I am not looking for that ONLY the start function. Obviously the next question would be would the FOB be able to be programmed to unlock door via the FOB buttons? The start function with out inserting the FOB is appealing as it is what I have been driving for quite a while. I am capable of doing the switch replacement myself but I am not familiar enough with these cars to know the relationship of the components. My first guess would be probably not, but hoping someone might know that this function could work. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No sir please don't start playing with the slot and all the business If you have a black back remote you can unlock and lock the door by pushing the buttons on the remote You don't have any of the buttons on the driver door or the back hatch correct? As some have discovered the wiring in the doors is different if you have the silver back remote and SKS which is where you can walk up to the car and it unlocks as long as the remote is on you somewhere You don't have to touch it You cannot add this easily in any form or fashion to a car that doesn't have this A guy came here and stripped the car to get all the parts to try and install it on his car and it's going to be way way more trouble than it will ever be worth You could buy another whole car with SKS for less than you'll spend trying to do this to your car I do believe or you have a friend that will do it for you just because it will be a lot of work The threads are here about it enjoy.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On the top of the dashboard when the dash pad is off right behind the steering wheel behind the big steel bar there's the SKS computer that has something to do with the transponder chip that's in the bottom of the remote and all of that You have to have that computer It's wiring and all of that I guess to have the start function and you're saying I guess the start function you guys are calling the start function is not having to take the remote out of your pocket and stick it in the slot.? Again you will need not the slot the slot if you look at the label on the slot is just an amplifier and a holder for the fob That's what the sticker says on the bottom of it so it must amplify the signals coming out of the remote and help the sensors around the car which you don't have detect the remote so it knows the remotes there or you're there and then it enables you reaching for the door to unlock it. And you sitting in the car without touching the remote and being able to ready and drive the car without having to slot the remote.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No.

re-evaluating likes this.