1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing the stereo in a 2002?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by erika, Apr 10, 2008.

1. erika

erika New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am considering buying a used 2002 Prius in fairly good shape. I was dismayed, however, to discover that in 2002 Toyota still thought people were using cassettes instead of CDs! I installed a new Alpine car stereo with a removable front plate, CD player and iPod hook-up (threaded into the glove compartment) in my current car (a 1988 Celica, inherited from my grandmother) - does anyone have experience doing something similar in a Prius? It doesn't look like it has a compatible space, but I figured it was worth asking. If so, would I need to bring it to a car stereo place and pay $$$ for the removal and reinstallation, or is this something I might find help for on Craig's List?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is both a single CD and 6 CD changer available from Toyota that are wiring-harness-compatible. Few other options are known to exist that will be compatible with operating using the touch screen.

If you want replacement audio with 'its own knobs' then the only requirements are find the wires for 12 volt power, antenna input and for the 4 speakers. That and make it fit into the space available.

I have listened to many audio books on cassette in 2001 Prius, and not quite ready to call them obselete.