1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by geologyrox, Jun 2, 2006.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I realize that Goodyear tires are considered good tires, but I'm wierd about driving in the rain (did NOT enjoy my recent trip in a Florida thunderstorm - first rain I've driven in since I bought the car) and I would like to upgrade my tires. I bought my car at a dealership where I get replacement tires free for life if I always have the servicing done there - which I would anyway. They are even willing to allow me to put whatever the heck tires on it I want, and they'll get me replacements of those when it comes time, as long as the warranty is as good as on the Integrities (50,000.) The plan was to just upgrade when it came time to replace the OEM set.
    Except I'm going to be driving 6,000 miles this summer up to big sky country, and I want better tires. They don't have to be great tires (I know it's quite a lot in my head) but I just want something that ranks better than 25/28 on the chart at TireRack (here)

I'm considering the Firestone Affinity LH30 tires - #6 on the passenger tires survey; the Yokohama AVID TRZd - #1 on the Standard Touring, and the Pirelli P400 Touring tires -#7 on the Standard Touring. My car will (FSM willing) never see snow or ice. Has anyone gone the less expensive route? I don't want to spend $500 on tires, this trip is expensive enough =)

2. cry4dawn

cry4dawn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jun 2 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]264645[/snapback]</div>

i personally went with the nokian i3's when my factory goodyears got tread bubbles at ~20k miles. i am loving theese tires alot, they are much much quieter, seem to be a lot more sticker to the pavement wet or dry. will have to see how they do in the snow though. and as a bonus i did not loose any mpg even though they were brand spanking new.

EDIT: the total cost to have them mounted and balanced including the tires was $350 with tax.

3. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    There are lots of threads that touch directly on this topic. If I remember correctly the tow tires that were reccommended are the Goodyear Comfort Tread or the Michelin Hydroedge tires.

4. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Jun 2 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]264720[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm sort of looking to avoid both of those - I want something comprably priced to the Integrities, so I don't have to pay extra out of pocket when replacing them. I was just hoping to be able to get a better tire for $60ish a tire.

5. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Remember that it is your family that will be in that car. Won't you kick yourself if something were to happen because you bought cheap tires. The Goodyear Comfort Treads are not that much more money and are a much better tire.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If your primary purpose is to save $200 today, then a tire like HydroEdge is not a good choice.

But if you want to get a better tire that will last longer, hence no extra money spent in the end, a tire like HydroEdge is the only way to go.

Remember, since those tires will deliver more miles, you don't have the extra expense of mounting new ones as often. You don't have to deal with the minor MPG hit new tires cause as often either.

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since you will only have to pay the extra for the first set of tires, why not do it? After that, your dealer is going to give you replacements for them when they wear out, right?

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jun 3 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]265292[/snapback]</div>
    Really, I'm sort of out of time - I don't think I'll be upgrading the tires before this trip, I'll probably reconsider when these tires go. I have to pay for the difference each time, which would admittedly be rarer using higher milage tires. They are 'paying' $60 a tire, though, and would ordinarily put another set of Integrities on - I was just wondering if there was something better out there for the same price.

9. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Michelin Hydroedge tires are GREAT!!! Sure they cost more, but in this world you pay for what you get. My car handles so much better with these and they are the best tires in the world in rain. Don't save a few bucks just to pay big bucks when you get in an accident because of bad tires.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tires are the most important performance and safety item a car has. As a percentage of the car's cost, even great tires are a small price, yet make a big difference. Over the life of the car, better tires are actually less expensive - especially if someone else is paying for them!

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, that makes more sense, paying the "upgrade difference" for each replacement set of tires.

It still may be worthwhile, since you won't be paying for mounting and balancing as the rest of us do.

12. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Well... I gave in, and went to Tire Kingdom to install the GoodYear TripleTreads. I waited two hours, when the employee realized he didn't have the tires I needed. He offered the Harmonys, which I declined, but I told them that if they could hurry the heck up, I'd take Hydroedges. They gave me them for the TripleTread price (not as good as costco, but pretty good) and I get a $50 rebate too.

I guess I drive conservatively enough that I didn't notice a big difference in dry traction, but the experience in rain was incredible. I was able to go the speed limit in pretty heavy rain yesterday - I've been known to park at a gas station for anything more than a light shower. Don't know if they're really worth the $500, but my peace of mind is.

My speed is being over reported by perhaps 2-4%, but I haven't noticed a change in milage, so perhaps the decrease is about in line with that. I apparently don't notice road noise, my husband says he thinks they're a good bit louder, I didn't notice anything at all.

All that and I had to cancel my trip at the last moment

13. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jun 6 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]266932[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the rain traction is lightyears ahead of the OEMs. Living on the Gulf Coast, the HEs were a no-brainer for me.

The speed shouldn't really be off:

This shows the Integrity at 24.4" diameter, 855 revs/mile.
    This shows the HE at 24.3" diameter, 856 revs/mile.

(24.3-24.4)*100/24.4 = -0.41% off - which is less than the wear depth.

As for being noisier, they are and they aren't - the total volume isn't any louder, but the pitch of the noise is lower than the OEMs, so if you are more sensitive to lower pitches, they may seem louder.

Enjoy the tires, forget the higher cost, they are WELL worth it!

14. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

hmmm, guess I should have checked the actual tires and not just the receipt - my GPS is quite sure my speed is off. It used to be right on, only occasionally off by 1mph. Now it's off by 1-3mph, about 2mph between 40-60ish. I'll check to make sure they didn't put the wrong size on when the sun comes up tomorrow.

EDIT: Heh, figured it out. I had requested 195 60 R15 in TripleTreads, because that's the closest match for that tire. When they switched to the HydroEdges, they didn't check to see if there was an OEM size match. ::sigh::

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Jun 2 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]264720[/snapback]</div>
    For those of us who drive in snow occasionally, how do these tires do with snow?

16. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

They are rated very good in snow, check the ratings on tirerack.com

17. Prakash

Prakash New Member

Alright, I love getting new Goodyear Integrity’s, however college expenses are just getting more and more expensive, and I honestly cannot afford the Integrity Tires at this point.

I am getting a reasonable deal, it seems, on Goodyear Weather force Tires (well Sears said Goodyear, but after searching I could only find a tire by Bridgestone named Weather force), are these ok to use with the Toyota Prius 04?

Bottom line I just can no longer afford the integrity's..

18. mmoore

mmoore New Member

Just a heads up for Costco fans: I was amazed yesterday when I took my 2005 Prius in to Costco to have Michelin Pilot Exalto 195/60-15 installed. These tires were in stock there at that location, and the 195/60-15 is the preferred size for most drivers in this forum. It is also the size tire used in Europe, etc. Costco Santa Cruz absolutely would NOT put these tires on saying this size was not approved and they weren't allowed to. I don't know if this is true for Costco stores nation wide, but I then went to Big O tires where they happily sold me the tires, put them on, and thanked me for my business. MUCH nicer to work with, and in my case not much more expensive. I am a big Costco fan, have been an Executive member for 8 years, but now know better than to use their tire shop. The moral? Costco prices very hard to beat, especially when there is a $60 across the board reduction for all Michelin tires. (Big O gives a $50 rebate till 10/31/07) HOWEVER, make sure they will put the tire you want on the car you have before waiting in their formidable line!

Just a heads up for Costco fans: I was amazed yesterday when I took my 2005 Prius in to Costco to have Michelin Pilot Exalto 195/60-15 installed. These tires were in stock there at that location, and the 195/60-15 is the preferred size for most drivers in this forum. It is also the size tire used in Europe, etc. Costco Santa Cruz absolutely would NOT put these tires on saying this size was not approved and they weren't allowed to. I don't know if this is true for Costco stores nation wide, but I then went to Big O tires where they happily sold me the tires, put them on, and thanked me for my business. MUCH nicer to work with, and in my case not much more expensive. I am a big Costco fan, have been an Executive member for 8 years, but now know better than to use their tire shop. The moral? Costco prices very hard to beat, especially when there is a $60 across the board reduction for all Michelin tires. (Big O gives a $50 rebate till 10/31/07) HOWEVER, make sure they will put the tire you want on the car you have before waiting in their formidable line!

19. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Jun 4 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]265602[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, what he said :D

Seriously, I drove through a downpour this week, and the Hydroedges are incredible! I was hitting standing puddles, and couldn't even feel any drag...

And now, Rudy clings to the pavement, so much better!

I am so very, very glad that we dumped the OEM tires. Try Costco, that's where we got ours.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jun 7 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]267661[/snapback]</div>
    We put 195/60 R15 on Rudy on purpose... wanted the little bit extra width.
    Near as we can tell (using the second-hand on the watch and the highway mileage markers), the speedometer is reporting 63 when I'm actually doing 60 mph.

So, that's within tolerances for me.

20. rgg123

rgg123 New Member

Just purchased Michelin X Radial DTs from Costco, replacing the OEM Integrity's. What a difference in handling and comfort!! I have 125 miles on them and I am experiencing 46.5 mpg versus the 48 mpg from the Integrity's. With the added safety and comfort of the new tires, I am glad to trade off a few mpg. So far, terrific in the rain, and looking forward to driving in the snow in a few months.

Cost me $414 (including the $60 rebate) installed at Costco. Also includes Costco's standard replacement, etc.