1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing two bad cells in battery pack, 2004 prius, 207,000 miles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kevin Cecchini, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Kevin Cecchini

Kevin Cecchini Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello my name is Kevin and I am a proud new owner of a prius, which I had purchased soley for the fuel economy, which had decreased my weekly fuel consumption from $100/week to $40/week. for 2 1/2 months then the triangle of death appeared.

After some slim and quick research, I found a shop, drove the vehicle there and I was informed of what was wrong. Two bad cells and the smaller battery is faulty as well.

I was going to pay the fee for installation of a new smaller battery and a refurbished battery cell. My brother in law, an electrical engineer talked me into doing the cell replacement with his help. Then I can save money for next time the battery dies and get a better fix.

I am curious as to what damage will be incurred if I do not balance all of the cells after replacing the two bad cells.

Also, from youtube, I learned that a 300 watt, 20 amp Reaktor is the better choice of chargers to use to balance.

How long does it typically take to balance the battery pack, with only one charger?

Is there a way to prevent the battery pack from going bad again? I ask this because I saw that there is a $400 charger that can be purchased to recondition or recharge the battery pack. However, when attempting to find out more information on it, the link was no longer any good and when attempting to purchase the charger, there was no link to allow the purchase either. Thus I was curious if it did not do well and was removed from the market?

OK, thank you for your time.

Kevin.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The reality is the pack in your 2004 is not going to last much longer regardless of what you do. Your "quick fix" might last a year but that's very unlikely. If you do decide to do it right it's going to cost you $500 at least for the replacement modules and the pack charger. It would take too long to recondition the pack with the Reaktor,

If you plan on keeping the car for a few years you should just go ahead and buy a brand new pack from Toyota. You can order one online from Szott M59 Toyota in Waterford for about $2000 and pick it up there. You will need to swap parts from your old pack into the new one. That is your best bet IMHO.

RCO likes this.
  3. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello Jadziasman.

My plan is to get the pack up and running and hopefully get a year out of it, or less. I am a bricklayer and travel 50+ miles a day to work.
    My plan is to save up money while driving on borrowed time, then once the pack dies again, take it to a shop that will install a refurbished battery with a three year warranty, unlimited miles.

I did further research and I have purchased and just yesterday, installed the "prolong" battery charger. Of course silly me let it charge for 16 hours with out sliding down the lever on the orange kill switch. After learning my error, I have slid it down and reconnected the charger.

Any concerns with the prolong charger? I did not purchase the advanced package with the decharging light bulb unit, however, perhaps I can order that later.

My plan is to get at least another 100,000 miles out of this prius.

Then continue saving money and hopefully upgrade to a newer model and install the prolong battery pack charger into that car.

However, I am a new prius owner and Jadziasman, you mentioned a new pack. My concern with the new pack is it is only a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty, which ever comes first.\

Are rebuilds unreliable in the gen2 cars?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, rebuilds are unreliable. but some last longer than others. no way of knowing.

the good part about a new battery isn't the warranty, it's the fact that they almost always last well over 100,000 miles.
    as for prolong, great product, but, better for older working batteries than one's that have failed. pm the owner @jeff652 for an opinion on your situation.

RCO likes this.
  5. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you replaced the failed modules BEFORE you installed and used the prolong charger you might end up with a pack that will last a while. But you won't unless you complete the discharge/charge cycles that Hybrid Automotive recommends. Using the charger alone will not rejuvenate your old, tired battery pack.

A new pack will outlast any rebuilt pack by 3 times or more. Don't worry about the warranty. Toyota wants its stealerships to succeed so that's why their warranty is triple that of a DIY install.

It's not so much the reliability of the rebuilt packs it's who did the rebuilding. You will learn this as you gain more knowledge and experience.

I wished you would have taken my advice and bought new; nevertheless, I hope you're able to repair your pack and get your money's worth out of what you've bought so far.

RCO likes this.
  6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your order :). Charging and balancing alone will not deliver long lasting results. To get the most benefit from reconditioning, you need to cycle the cells over a much wider range than the car normally allows. It's the discharge sub-cycle specifically that breaks down the voltage depression memory effect and restores lost capacity. Charging alone is only half of the solution

For a DIY consumer, it's worth reconditioning the pack before replacing any modules. About 50% of the time, that''s enough to recover the pack and keep the car going. If the battery still exhibits trouble after the first reconditioning treatment, it's time to load test the modules and replace the bad ones. After replacing, recondition again so the new & old modules can normalize to each other. For a shop/rebuilder who wants to minimize the risk of a warranty claim, going straight to load testing and replacing weak modules makes the most sense. But, yeah, charging alone will not last for the long term.

RCO likes this.
  7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on, Jeff. If each of the two modules failed in the OP's pack due to an internal short in one of the six cells then trying to recondition is likely to make other modules fail because the bad ones will overheat and potentially blow their lids.

Not a good idea to recommend to an owner with known bad modules to use your product before replacing them.

#7 jadziasman, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Kevin Cecchini likes this.
  9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the OP has already determined he has two failed modules, then they should be replaced. I was speaking broadly in my response. To assume that every battery red triangle event is due to a hard cell failure (such as high IR or internal short) and to assume every battery red triangle event will require module replacement is not correct. Based on our customer feedback somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the time reconditioning alone is enough. This is why we recommend reconditioning first, before tearing down to the module level and load testing/replacing. Often it's simply not needed.

I experienced this on my own 2005 Prius. It "failed" almost three years ago with a battery red triangle, loss of power limp-mode stranded on side of road event. I reconditioned the pack as-is and was back on the road without touching the modules. It's been almost three years and the car is still going strong and I have never replaced any of the pack, only maintained it at regular intervals. If the OP has already done testing and determined he has failed modules that can't be cycled and restored, then I agree he should replace them.

RCO and bisco like this.
  10. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Jeff, can I purchase the discharging unit separately? I purchased the prolong charger from priuschat, however, I did not see the option to purchase the prolong charger/discharger unit.
    Kevin.

12. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jadsiasman, I do not have the financial stability to purchase a new battery. Wish I did. Also, I purchased the car for $2300 and so putting more money in it is scary at this time. Although, I strongly agree, a new battery pack is the best answer. The question is if the rest of the car will maintain durability with the new battery.

I know, from taking it to the shop, that the water pump will need replacement soon. Not sure if this is something I can do. I have worked on my own vehicles for years, however, not sure how difficult the water pump replacement will be.

Too bad I do not have the monthly income to just purchase a great used prius, however, then this would not justify my approach towards trying to save monthly fuel costs, which with my 2000 Ford Ranger, is around $350-$500 a month, depending on weather, fuel cost, job location - all changing variables.

Prior to the battery dying on the prius, I went from $100 per week in fuel cost, to $40 with the prius.

I appreciate your advice very much jadziasmen, thank you.

13. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RCO likes this.
  14. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hello Jeff,

I know, from taking the car into a shop several months ago, that modules 7 and 8 are bad. 7 is bad and 8 weak. I believe that 7 was around 6 volts.

I have charged the battery pack, when the ignition is on the display on the car shows a full charge. However, the "triangle of death" and the 'car with an explanation point' are still on and the car's engine continues to run when in drive. However, initially when the power is engaged for the car, via ignition, the engine does not start - the engine only starts when shifted out of park. Note that prior to the prolong charger, when the power was engaged, via ignition, the engine started immediately.

So perhaps in a few weeks I can save up enough money to purchase the discharging unit and properly fix this battery pack.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is new information that should have been disclosed in the first post. Imagine driving for months on an engine showing a critically low oil level and then expecting that adding some new oil now will make it better again.

16. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you press the Start button twice? It must be pressed twice to enter Ready Mode the first time after reconnecting the 12V aux battery.

RCO likes this.
  17. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

I agree, pardon me for that error. However, the car has been sitting for months, five total.

RCO likes this.