1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report: China could require mild hybrid technology on all new vehicles by 2012

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jul 27, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Report: China to require mild hybrid technology on all new vehicles by 2012 — Autoblog Green

If passed, I wonder if this will propagate over to the US and the of the rest of the world, at least w/global automakers which have a big presence in China such as VW and GM.

2. ThePriusMan.com

ThePriusMan.com Waiting for my Prius

Portland Oregon - No Global Warming Here!
    Model:
    II
    Sounds Good to me....

Why Can't we do this?

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doesn't look like any hybrid I know, but more just a stop/start system.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chevy Malibu Hybrid.

At least it is a positive step towards fuel conservation, and isn't very expensive to build.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How is stop/start a hybrid technology? Does it assist the car like Hondas IMA or is it purely stop/start?

I guess every little helps, but stop/start is common over here and not well liked. Would it not be better to mandate lower fuel consumption or a lower fleet average consumption?

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GM had a bunch of other BAS hybrids like the Aura Hybrid (same platform as the above) and Vue Hybrid. They're all gone though.

But yes, w/widespread adoption, it would be a positive step. I hate driving my Z and other non-hybrids in stop and go traffic, esp. while stuck at traffic lights.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is great! They can then upgrade to electric A/C in next gen and even electrically assist.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the article but there are a couple of data points to share:

• GM's BAS systems added nearly $4,000 to the price of their cars for very small improvement:
    Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid - Review | Hybrid Cars
    I think the Chinese would be better served to put a mileage/emissions standard on their vehicles and 'let the market' respond. Obviously GM figured out their 'mild' hybrids were too expensive and delivered too little value . . . now that Bob Lutz is gone.

Bob Wilson

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends how good the translation is...

BMW's new 5 Series will have stop/start and regenerative braking but it's to recharge the 12V, not a traction battery. I'd still consider that a normal vehicle and not a hybrid since it doesn't have a second mode of propulsion but something like that can help save fuel with little added cost.

How is the smart mhd anyway? It hasn't arrived on our shores (thought it would for 2010 but guess not).

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know I thought they'd stopped selling Smarts. I haven't seen a new one for ages and didn't even realise they sold a hybrid one. They were a great seller a couple years ago but seem to have lost their way lately. Maybe they're concentrating on sales in the US?

I searched for their UK website and there is one but it's almost impossible to find a price of any of their cars! hmmm.

The Hybrids in the UK are the Prius and Auris, the Honda Insight and Civic and a couple of Lexus models inc the SUV. The next big thing is the Nissan Leaf next year. EV's at the moment at the G-Wiz mainly sold in London and then there's the Mitsubishi I-MiEV and Peugeot iOn to come late this year but appear overpriced compared to the Leaf.

Interesting times.

11. ThePriusMan.com

ThePriusMan.com Waiting for my Prius

Portland Oregon - No Global Warming Here!
    Model:
    II
    GM charge $4,000 for golf cart technology?
    Golf Carts do this (Start/Stop)

WOW I'm in the wrong biz....

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with your 2nd point (let the market decide which way to accomplish the goal), but not so sure about the first ($4K for BAS).
    One, is the base vehicle exactly the same as the hybrid, except for the hybrid portion? IOW, does the hybrid have other features/trim level upgrades built into it, like Ford does with their hybrids?

Second, how many hybrid power-trains are they building? If it's not mass produced, they won't have economies of scale on it, but if it's mandated for all vehicles, then it may easily be cheaper.

Given that the Prius has a full hybrid system for less than $4k, basically doubling the mpg over a standard car with similar size and features, I find it hard to believe that it really costs $4k more just for the BAS and an extra 4 mpg.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well after 10 years, it's about time to launch a new model. It came out in 2007 (as a 2008 model on this side of the pond). In fact, I owned a 2008 passion coupé before trading it for a Prius.

We only have the pure coupé and the passion in coupé and cabriolet forms. Ours start at Cdn$14k (better equipped than the US pure which starts at US$12k). We got the limitedtwo later in 2008, the BRABUS and limitedthree models in 2009. This year, it's the highstyle (and one other limited edition model who's name escapes me at this moment). I think the smart on your side starts around £8k with the same equipment as the US models.

Here, in addition to the cars you've mentioned, we have the Camry Hybrid, Fusion Hybrid (saloon.. different from your Fusion), Escape Hybrid and the Nissan Altima Hybrid (using Camry's HSD setup). There's also the Highlander Hybrid (Kluger in some markets). It's a midsize SUV, a sister to the RXh.

No EVs at the moment other than Dynasty (small NEVs) as well as ZENN (based in Quebec but can't remember if it's legal in Canada yet lol.). The i-MIEV is under study. No word on the Leaf in Canada.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mapleleaf.:p

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That seems likely to be an artifact of the EPA city test cycle. It doesn't have much stationary warm idle time, where this feature produces its best savings. In real life I spend much more time sitting at traffic lights.

"Better Mileage Now", Scientific American, Feb. 2010 (written by a Honda executive) shows stop-start as producing a 7.5% fuel economy gain, according to a NHTSA report. Honda and other manufacturers don't release their own estimates.

Don't confuse sticker price with factory cost. I suspect a large portion of the sticker increment was either for the presumed '!!HYBRID!!' market appeal, or for Lutz's strategic purposes.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder if TTAC article is actually wrong since Fuel Economy Test Schedules shows the city cycle having 23 stops and idling 18% of the time. The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Measuring Fuel Economy - Car and Driver also mentions 23 stops.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While it shows lots of stops, many of them are momentary, with none of the multiple 100-150 second stops of my commute. The first of only two semi-long stops in the test cycle is while most engines (except GenIII Prius) are still too cold to activate stop-start systems.