1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report from Ski Trip w/ Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BertinNC, Jan 24, 2006.

1. BertinNC

BertinNC New Member

I asked about info on taking the Prius to Canaan Valley, WV and some asked for a report when I got back so here it is:

First off to let you know, I live in the Tidewater area just over the state line from VA near the Outer Banks of NC. Suffice it to say by the name of the area the land is flat and just above sea level. So I am not used to driving up and down mountains or dealing with steep terrain.

We took the Silver Bullet with some other family members taking their trucks (Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado). Canaan Valley, WV is about 380 miles away and we go from an elevation of about 15 ft. to upwards 4,500 ft. of the Shenandoah Mountains and up and down and up and down with grades of 10%. The Silver Bullet stayed right with them up the mountain and never emptied the battery all the way and it handled the sharp corners nice and smooth. It did rev a little high on the steep inclines but handled it finely. On the trip to the Ski Resort I averaged 47 MPG and on the trip home averaged 48 MPG. They had to stop twice for gas on the trip so one time I pulled in with them and just washed my windshield. :p Very very pleased.

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Love that comment... It must be so much fun to have a truck... and you must have so much use for it in a ski resort... good for you!

3. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I'm thrilled that it went well for you! I'm continually impressed with the capability of this little car.

4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we ran up through the WV mountains from a little farther west than you... had a good ol' time too! 53 (!!) mpg through the state on I77!

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's great to hear! If my car gets here in time for our Feb 1-5 trip to Mammoth, my husband and I will be travelling there by Prius (assuming I can find some tire chains/cables on short notice of course which I'm sure will be relatively easy). Being avid snowboarders, we trek to Mammoth as well as the local mountains 10-15 times per season and there are a lot of steep grades to climb up and sharp curves to round to get there. Glad to hear your Prius handled them like a pro!! Looking forward to having a similarly successful experience! :D

7. BertinNC

BertinNC New Member

Also wanted to note that there was also another Prius at the Resort Lodge and saw several others in driveways through the mountains. So I think a lot of others know that it takes a while to get anywhere up there and that they do fine in the mountains.

8. BertinNC

BertinNC New Member