1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report on 1st road trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pirateprius, Sep 5, 2006.

1. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Finally got to take my baby on a road trip from North Carolina to Maryland this past weekend. I managed to average just over 50 mpg on the way up. Filled up before heading back and was sitting on 51.8 mpg when I pulled into my garage with 340 miles on the tank. Drove between 65 and 80 mph on the interstates depending on speed limit and traffic flow. Had other driving around on roads with speed limits from 50 to 60 mph with some stop lights.

Some thoughts:

I thought the car handled very well and there was plenty of acceleration when needed for merging or passing. I had no problems with the comfort of the driver's seat, but could be because I am short (just about 5' 1").

The navigation was extremely useful, leading us to our hotel and back there again after wandering around. We also used it to find the nearest grocery store, restaurants, and a convenience store (only to discover you can't buy beer at a convenience store in Maryland). Most importantly the nav led us right to the Naval Academy football stadium in time for kickoff.

All in all I was very pleased with the performance and my gas mileage. I tried watching the consumption screen with feathering the gas and coasting whenever possible. I did let DH drive a little with his leadfoot, but drove the whole way back myself, since I couldn't bite my tongue over his driving style any longer and decided hurting my mileage could be grounds for divorce.

Just love my beautiful black Prius.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad to hear that the Prius did so well on the first road trip! I've been lucky enough to take mine on 3 since I got him, once from OC to San Jose/San Fran and twice from OC to Mammoth Mountain/Yosemite area. I loved being able to fuel up in Mammoth before heading home and not having to stop and get gas en route...made it with gas to spare for a few days thereafter! (It's about 350-360 miles one way). :)

That's odd about not being able to buy beer in convenience stores in MD...never been there other than an 8th grade school trip out to DC/MD/VA/PA so I've never really thought about it.

I'm the same way with letting (or in this case, NOT letting) DH drive my Max baby. I have let him drive it on occasion, but usually he's too scared to because he doesn't want a tongue-lashing for lowering my mpg. He did get to drive it home for about 200 miles this last trip (I was exhausted from a poor nights' sleep, just over 6 mos pregnant, etc), and when we arrived the mpg was exactly where it was where I left off driving. Although I still think that I could have raised the mpg a bit if I had been driving as opposed to holding it steady, considering that he's a speed demon and lead foot (moreso than I). :D