1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report on ECU Recall Work by Dealer Yesterday

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RobertO, Feb 18, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

The work was done at a Michael's Toyota in Bellevue, WA (across Lake Washington, east of Seattle)

You may recall from my earliler posts last couple of weeks that:

1. I REALLY didn't want to be the first to have this software load done.
    2. They knew nothing about the recall.
    3. They had received no notice or material to do the work, from Toyota.
    4. They claimed they had done "tons" of them until I pointed out that this was for an '04. "Oh", they said.
    5. They were unaware that one of our Priuschat members is driving a rental car because of an improper load sequence blew the ECU processor.
    I copied them with the original message on the blown ECU processor last week so they could anticipate this issue before starting in on my car.

You see where I'm going here.

But I wanted the work done, and to move on.

Long story short, they had the car all day, and kept me waiting until after 6 p.m. saying that the car was "in the wash rack". My gut tells me the load did not go smoothly and they probably had to do it twice - at least.

Like alot of guys (apologies to the ladies), I like to shmooze the technicians, but their shop is three blocks away, so I couldn't really query the techician who did the work.

I can only tell you that my service advisor handled me like a hot potato when I asked him how it went and what I can expect as a result of the work.

FOR THE RECORD: The SSC-40 patch load is version 10.28, dated 12/11/03.

?For no material reason, I am not comfortable with what went down yesterday. Oh yeah, the car seems to run fine and all the presets were written down and restored. I just don't like being kept in the dark about work on my rig.

And you gotta wonder; how come all day for a "1.5 hr." routine?

Hopefully this was worthwhile info for those of you about to have the recall patch installed.

Bob

2. Joel

Joel New Member

It's not a recall. It is a service campaign.

3. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Hm-m-m-m-. Service Campaign.

To correct a Software Fault that may cause the tranny to misbehave. Sent me a letter to bring my car in soon as possible. 3,500 vehicles affected.

OK... have it your way. Maybe you work for Toyota NA or a dealer. Call it a Service Campaign, if you please.

I don't care if it was a cookie exchange party; they still had the car all day for a 1.5 hour (supposedly tops) Plug and Play and did or said nothing to inspire my confidence for future visits.

Think I'm being to hard on them?

Me, I don't think so.

They really couldn't find the words to tell me why it took so long. At least explains why the suggested that I not wait and offered me a ride home...

Bob

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What's the "ECU"?

5. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

Electronic Control Unit. It's like the brains of the car. The CPU of the MPU (Mobile Pedestrian Unit). :lol: The Meat of the Hamburger. The jelly in the donut. The filling in the Twinkie. Well, you get the idea. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Atoyot