1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report On OEM Yokohama Avid Tires in SNOW

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by antoine, Nov 10, 2009.

1. antoine

antoine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Snowed already here in MAINE, but not on the coast yet. Wondering
    how the OEM Yokohama AVID tires handle the snow and slush of winter. ANY Reports YET? TireRack.Com rates them pretty poorly in
    snow.

Since a 2nd set of wheels is expensive (low pressure sensor is the
    reason), I have given up on buying snow tires; and I am not prepared
    to buy SNOW TIRES and switch twice a year at $80 per switch
    (using single set of wheels). Considering buying better all season
    tires instead. Looking at the Bridgestone Turanza tires. What do you
    think?

If you believe 2 sets of wheels and snow tires are the only answer,
    can I buy the wheels at an affordable price?

Thanks!

2. L8rnr

L8rnr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you try www.Tirerack.com ?
    If I lived up there I would get a full set of snows on wheels and take a chance on doing without the TPM's. They do tend to be expensive. I'm also curious to see how the Yokohama's handle the snow. I did read some reviews on another site panning the Prius in bad weather as it stated the engime won't kick in on slippery surfaces and you just end up standing still...Not a good thing. Please let me know your outcome. Good luck.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the Consumer Reports November 2009 issue tire tests, if you want an all-season tire with the best snow handling and ice braking, then hands-down the tire to get is the Hankook Optimo H727.

The Hankook Optimo 727 is among the highest rated all-season tires in general. And for snow handling and ice braking, it rates higher than the Nokian WRG2 that a lot of people rave about. In fact, it rates as well or higher in snow handling and ice braking than most of the WINTER tires tested by Consumer Reports. Plus they only cost about $75 to $85 per tire, depending on where you get them from.

Here are the reviews, recommendations and Ratings Charts for Consumer Reports November 2009 issue tire tests. I'd look it over carefully if you're considering new all-season or winter tires -- it's the best and most comprehensive tire tests available now:

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

Good luck.

4. davidiiiii

davidiiiii New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any recommendations for us Prius V'ers with the 17" wheels?

5. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, mount snow tires on 15" wheels. I'm going with Michelin X-Ice Xi-2 mounted on OE 15" alloy wheels.

You can find OE 15" wheels on eBay or try craigslist.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any all-season tires are going to be a compromise in snow.

I would find a 16" set of steelies and snow tires and just forget about the TPMS sensors. As an alternative, you can always do this hillbilly trick to the TPMS:

DIY - TPMS Canister/Pipe Bomb - Club Lexus Forums

7. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    David,

TireRack lists nine different snow tire options in a 215/45R17 size, ranging from the General Altimax Arctic at $111 each to the Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II at $175 each.

My understanding is the General is a re-branded Gislaved Nordfrost 3 tire. And, what the Swedes don't know about snow tires isn't worth knowing. :D

Personally, I just bought some 15" steeles with Continental ExtremeWinter Contacts in a 195/65R15 as, one look at the sidewall height on the 17s and I knew they wouldn't be long for this world after a winter on our roads here.