1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report on Prius Briefing #1 at Sunnyvale Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by felixkramer, May 5, 2004.

1. felixkramer

felixkramer New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    (There's another session May 13 evening (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bay_Area_Prius_fans/ for details). I'm posting a pointer at that group to Yahoo Prius-2G and PriusChat for discussions.)

Thanks to Urs Steiner (of the SF Bay Area Prius list), dealership owner Adam Simms and the entire staff of the sparkling new Sunnyvale Toyota, and Toyota for supplying "Q", one of their San Francisco Regional Technical staffers for the briefing.

About 75 people were pre-registered, and I'd estimate about that number showed up. Perhaps 1/3 had '04s, 1/6 had older Priuses, 25% had cars on order and 25% were checking it all out. It appeared that the audience was half dealer invites and half people who heard about the event at Prius online sites.

Following are my notes of items that appeared to contain new or potentially useful information:

DEALER:
    * 11,100 2004 Priuses delivered to US customers in first 4 months, 1,856 to California. Northern California dealers have 3500 non-duplicated orders, are receiving 500 month, expect 500-600/month for the rest of the year. Waiting list is 4-6 months, with the package #9s tending to have the longest wait.
    * Sunnyvale Toyota, far from charging a premium to take advantage of the shortage, is discounting the car a few hundred dollars to compensate people for having to wait. They expect that those at the tail end of the waiting list who end up getting 2005 models will be charged the new higher prices and then may have the prospect of getting a rebate check back from Toyota.
    * Highlander will cost an estimated $4,500 premium over non-hybrid. Supply to dealers will be based on current sales of Highlanders, roughly on a 1 for 10 basis, so the 60 Northern California dealers selling 600/month are likely to get 60 hybrids or 1/dealer -- that is, not many. Sunnyvale already has 7 orders.

TECHNICAL:
    * #1 question Toyota gets is about the disparity between EPA labeled mileage ("Monroney sticker") and actual experience. Toyota is not allowed to use any other real-world numbers.
    * No one knows yet what the lifetime of the bladder will be, but no one seems worried about it.
    * Toyota is working on some kind of a recalibration or software fix to get improved fuel tank indications, perhaps by mid-summer, but technicians haven't gotten any details.
    * Similarly, we can expect that current owners of navigation systems will get an upgraded DVD database, and, as many people have hoped, a website to which we can submit corrections to the data.
    * They continue to assert that we should follow the door-panel recommendaations for 35/33 tire pressure.
    * I was pleased that quite a few people in the audience knew about the EV button's availability in Europe and Japan, and one or two people had enabled it themselves. Many wanted to talk about ways to extend the EV-only mode (CalCars' just-launched PRIUS+ campaign) and the technical people are apparently not highly aware of the issues or of the reasons why Toyota did not support EV-mode in the U.S.
    * They don't have the time to pay much attention to the online groups, but are aware that very intense and detailed discussions are going on, and that at times we have access to more information than they do.

I think this event was a huge plus for everyone concerned:
    * the audience's questions reflected how well-informed they are (thanks in large part to online discussions) and how happy they are about the Prius;
    * the dealer is clearly interested in being responsive to the Bay Area Prius community;
    * and Toyota has such a good product that they are happy to be open and responsive to their current and future customers.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    '04 Prius Oct-May 48.7 mpg/7910 mi
    PRIUS+ Campaign
    http://www.priusplus.org

Felix Kramer [email protected]
    Founder California Cars Initiative
    http://www.calcars.org
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

Wow, very cool stuff, thanks for the info!

-m.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great info, thanks Felix!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the report and info. The confirmation of the fuel indicator and NAV DVD improvements alone are very encouraging.

I'm a bit discouraged/baffled that Toyota didn't learn from the Prius experience and seems to not be prepared to meet the Highlander Hybrid demand.

Look forward to the May 13th report too.

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

it may not all be toyota's fault. see the recent thread on here where they have been forced to reduce production of #9 packages by the EPA due to mercury content.

this might be BS pressure from the american car companies or oil companies, but it is apparently suceeding nonetheless. and it could well be that while the prius is more or less an update of an 'econobox' (not belittling the prius, but it is NOT a luxury vehicle), the highlander is more upscale, so it's even possible that mercury or other issues could be more prevalent, or some other issue that we are not yet aware of.

considering the quality of company that toyota is, i give them the benefit of that doubt

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not betting on a free NAV DVD update, so I hope the cost is reasonable...

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like a complete crock of bulldada. Can anyone document it?

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why would the #9 have more mercury than any other? The only item unique to the #9 is the NAV and Bluetooth. Why would any car have any mercury?

9. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i don't claim to be an expert on the mercury thing, but this thread had an extensive discussion, and several folks, including empress dianne, said it's not just a story, whether it's BS or not...

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1938

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

Well, the thread seems to think that perhaps it's the *weight*, not the mercury content in the HID headlamps (especially since one can get non-mecury HIDs) - someone noted that the EPA can be quite strict on weight of x amount of cars, and that might be the problem.

EDIT: Here, from a dealer in Wisconsin in that aforementioned thread:

"It is the EPA that is calling for limits on the amount of Package 9 production. I'm not sure on specifics, but I think it has to do with the overall weight of the vehicle.

Several years ago we couldn't get Corolla LE's with cruise due to EPA limitations. The servo added just enough weight to the car, that the EPA weight targets were not being met.
    "
    -m.

11. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

as i said, i'm no expert there. i guess the part i meant that seemed to be true, whether the reasons were BS or not, is that toyota has been forced/pressured into reducing the percentage of package #9. the reasons at this point seem to be in some question...

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, you were quoting someone else who was quoting someone else in another thread (this is starting to smell like an urban legend), but what "EPA weight limits" are those? Anyone have an authoritative source for this?

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

hehe, hear you there - it was steveb84 who posted that quote I gave, perhaps he can give us more info. Sorry I didn't post his name last night, was tired and have been fighting a cold (and still am, ugh!). If anyone finds out anymore, hopefully they'll let us know!

-m.