1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report: Sales of 30+ MPG cars fell 10% in first five months of 2010

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jun 14, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Report: Sales of 30+ MPG cars fell 10% in first five months of 2010 — Autoblog Green

Sigh.... :(

I really wish EVERYONE got a mandatory education on our dependence on foreign oil, where most of the world's oil reserves are located, the % of world oil reserves the US has, the % of worldwide oil production the US consumes, oil choke points, geopolitical issues as it relates to oil and on the challenges of oil exploration and drilling, etc. If nothing else, it ought to be mandatory to anyone considering buying monstrosity class (curb weight >5000 lbs.) SUV or truck.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't the percentage be somewhat skewed by the fact that we are emerging from the cash for clunkers event? With cash for clunkers, sales of 30+mpg vehicles would of been somewhat artificially increased. It just makes sense to think that with relatively lower gas prices, once the Cash for Clunkers ended that you would see the percentage of overall higher MPG vehicles sales fall.

Don't worry. Reality will do what a absent mandatory education on our dependence of foreign oil won't. Someday when gas is $4.00 or more a gallon you'll see the percentage of 30mpg automobiles sales really increase. Unfortunately, it will be primarily because people want to continue driving the same amount as before, and save money, not because they have suddenly awakened in mass to the reality of a finite resource and a dependence on a foreign supplier.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cash for clunkers was a short-term event for a few weeks last July/August as I recall. Next month the year-over-year results might be skewed, but not for the first 5 months of this year compared to the same time last year. People's memories of $4/gal gasoline is fading, especially since we didn't see the usual bump in gas prices during May. We should definitely have a floor in the price of gasoline, something like $3/gallon, going up a couple dimes every year until we are no longer contributing to the support of terrorists and unfriendly countries.