1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report: UK Oil Production Down 12% on the Year

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by joe1347, Jul 3, 2007.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Some disturbing news that likely will never be published by the Mainstream Media. Maybe it's time to quit putting off buying a Prius - before gas gets even more expensive!

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe1347 @ Jul 2 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]472047[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but this is old news. The North Sea has been in decline for years and production in the UK peaked in 1999. The big news that only Al-Jeezera has had the guts to publish so far is that Saudi Arabia's production peaked in 2005 and is now declining.

http://english.aljazeera.net/English/archi...ArchiveId=11252
    http://english.aljazeera.net/English/archi...?ArchiveId=9622

There is also this:
    http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2325

3. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jul 3 2007, 01:33 AM) [snapback]472099[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. How about also adding peakoil.com to your list.

http://www.peakoil.com/forums.html

4. chogan

chogan New Member

Thank you all for the posts. This was a lot of new information in a small package, particularly regarding Saudi Arabia. Not that I would leap to conclusions based on a single year of monthly data, in isolation. But given the context -- that many informed observers are expecting this to happen -- this seems both plausible and disturbing. The Saudi data certainly haven't gotten much popular press coverage.

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Jul 3 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]472192[/snapback]</div>
    I don't leap to conclusions based on a single year either but there is a lot more to it.

First: About 80% of Saudi oil comes from several giant fields that have been in continuous production for 50 years or more. Nothing last forever.

Second: The Saudis have promised to increase oil production several times over the last 2 to 3 years when some country has had a production issue and prices spike. Katrina is an example of this. Every time they have made this promise they have failed to follow through.

Third: Saudi field were US run until the early to mid 80's. Shortly after the Saudi's took over they doubled the size of their reserves overnight. Based on the earlier US date, the Saudi fields should have peaked already. However, Saudi Arabia has been spending MASSIVE amounts of money on water injection to prop up production. The end has to come soon.

The really bad thing is that when a well that has had massive water injection stops producing, it just stops producing. You go from pumping ten thousand barrels per day to none because the pressure in the field is not enough to lift the oil anymore. You then have to go to manual lift like we do in the Texas oilfields. A lot of those manual lift wells yield 10 to 100 barrels per day. You see the problem for a world that needs an every increasing amount of oil. :huh:

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jul 3 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]472501[/snapback]</div>
    The problem with the whole situation is that everybody's had an incentive to lie about the reserves. When foreign companies were running the show, they intentionally downplayed the reserves for tax reasons. When the fields were nationalized, it was in the new operators' best interest to inflate the reserves for taking out loans for upgrades and expanding production infrastructure.

7. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jul 3 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]472501[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I'm in total agreement with you on the context, I'm just having a hard time absorbing what this means, and, given the importance of it, why it's not hitting the popular press at all. I just googled several variations on Saudi oil production down and got no mainstream media, but a lot of informed internet commentary. Even if there is significant uncertainty about this trend -- whether or not this is voluntary or involuntary -- I don't see why this hasn't gotten more attention. I mean, 1) there will always be uncertainty given the secrecy around the production data, 2) official projections for the oil market assume the Saudis will increase exports by a couple of percent per year over the near term, 3) if they don't that's a big problem, and 4) as you point out there is lots of context to suggest this is involuntary.

The only seemingly plausible alternative theory I read is that the Saudis are stockpiling in advance of a coming US attack on Iran (parallel to their perceived effort to stabilize the market at the outset of the Iraq war), hence the reduction in exports (the data) relative to production. But other sources suggest the Saudis don't have anywhere near enough unused storage capacity to account for the decline in exports. Another alternative scenario is that this is simple profit-maximization, with the increased world price more than offsetting the reduction in units sold. I have no information by which to judge the reasonableness of that.

What I'm suggesting is that, of the explanations I've found, running out of oil seems to be at least as plausible if not more plausible than any alternatives. Yet there's no mention of this in the mainstream press. Which, given the importance of this, seems odd. Perhaps we'll be seeing it soon.

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    or perhaps they're being told "mum's the word" to keep oil prices stable. It is very difficult to figure. I think that OPEC is very happy to restrict production. It's pretty obvious that $50-60/barrel oil is adversely affecting the global economy.

9. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Jul 5 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]473436[/snapback]</div>

I suspect that whether Saudi Arabia (Ghawar) is in decline is on the short list of being one of the biggest secrets in the world. With the Bush Admins 'hints' that they want to maintain a decades long sizeable military presence in Iraq plus the not too subtle push for Iraqi Gov't to pass an oil bill 'friendly' to the USA - it stands to reason that Ghawar is now in decline and the Bush Admin wants to 'secure' the still large and relatively untapped oil reserves in Iraq.

10. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jul 3 2007, 01:33 AM) [snapback]472099[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again for the oildrum link. A few more days of reading some of the oildrum threads and I'll be begging a Toyota dealer to sell me a Prius. ;) Actually - so far - oildrum seems to be more 'rational' as opposed to the end-of-the-world doomer posts that seem to dominate peakoil.com. Along the lines of there's still about 1 Trillion Barrels of Oil left (in the ground) and oil is just going to get more and more expensive (and not so easy to come by) with increasing demand.

http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2661#more

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Indeed. It seems that people seem to equate peak oil with no oil. The problem is that prices will move quickly upwards as we move down the back of the curve. There's a pretty good chance that the back side will be pretty steep because of the abuse many of the large fields have endured to keep them productive. Mexico's Cantarell field is a good example. There's a field in CA (I forget the name) that is another good example of this phenomenon.