1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reports of my Prius death are premature

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Alex Beam silences the death knell for his Generation 1 Prius - The Boston Globe

Thanks to Evan, I helped.

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

Congratulations on your being quoted in the news story. I guess Alex hasn't figured out the potential for electric steering gear, transaxle, or inverter failures?

My guess is that the $200 price that you paid was for a 2G salvage battery (not Classic); am I correct?

I thought it was very interesting to see the figure of 44K Classic units still in operation in the US. I recall that 53K units were sold in this country. So if my recollection and the news story are both correct, then 9K units have been lost to accident or other mishap, or 18% over ~9 years.

Given the above, there should be ~9K Classic salvage batteries looking for a home, minus those batteries damaged by a rear-end accident. However I would say that in general, it is very hard to find a Classic salvage battery at a reasonable price. As of this writing there are zero Classic salvage battery assemblies for sale on eBay (although loose modules are available, presumably removed from a failed battery assembly):
    prius battery items - Get great deals on Parts Accessories, prius items on eBay Motors!

I assume that the lack of Classic salvage batteries for sale shows high demand due to post-warranty failure of the battery. That demand must be at least as high as the accident rate since some supply comes from Toyota as new parts and other supply comes from third party "reman" sources.

If in fact the accident rate was 18%, then the battery post-warranty failure rate would appear to be 18+%.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nor have any of the other hybrid skeptics. Ignorant, they never figured out there was anything other than a battery in a hybrid. <GRINS>

Ebay: 170517133264
    Asking: $449.99, Won $202.49

Actually I volunteered 3% loss per year compounded. The 3% comes from a salvage assocation report of how many vehicles of the USA fleet are turned over to them any given year. Now this is not a linear factor but it is close enough. So 18%/9 years ~=2% straight line. But when you run an annual 3% loss over the remaining Prius each year, ~44,000.

Please don't equate fleet loss rate with battery salvage rate. These are different, entirely different numbers. For example, I have a spare NHW11 battery that I suspect is now self-discharge, useless. There are probably more.

I also suspect there are many more Prius batteries still in the shells in salvage yards. Then there are the fire engulfed Prius. But I also suspect that many salvage yard Prius were just sent to a shredder/crusher and loaded onto an open railroad car and sent to metal foundries. I really have no expectations of salvage yards being in anything but a volume business trying to turnover their inventory.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Or perhaps the simple route of sending the HV battery to Toyota and claiming the recycling fee was followed ? it really would be interesting to know the natural fate of these batteries.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done bob and evan. alex is one of the few remaining level headed writers at the globe. i didn't even know he drove a prius.

7. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll try to set up a Google news alert for Alex and "Prius." This is the third story of his that paints the Prius pretty much as I know it to be. It is time to start sharing his skills as a good source. . . . Perhaps include a cover page reference at PriusChat?

Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Patrick,
    I found another approach different than the 3% fleet loss from the salvage association that gave ~44,000 Classics.

The Department of Transportation has contributed to an EPA emissions model that needs the vehicle age on the road to project vehicle emissions total load called MOBIL6. In their model, they have a table of vehicle populations by age that I can use to project a loss rate, one that is age of vehicle based, for any similar vehicle in that class. The assumption is the NHW11 has similar life-span as their Light Duty Vehicles (passenger cars.):
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8
    0 Vehicle age LDV ALL % of NHW11 Prius year remaining
    1 1 0.0706 100.0%
    2 2 0.0706 100.0%
    3 3 0.0705 99.9%
    4 4 0.0703 99.6%
    5 5 0.0698 98.9%
    6 6 0.0689 97.6%
    7 7 0.0676 95.8% 12 129(*) 2003 11 613
    8 8 0.0655 92.8% 19 817 2002 18 385
    9 9 0.0627 88.8% 15 322 2001 13 607
    10 10 0.0588 83.3% 5 562 2000 4 632
    11 11 0.0539 76.3%
    12 12 0.0458 64.9%
    13 13 0.0363 51.4%
    14 14 0.0288 40.8%
    15 15 0.0228 32.3%
    16 16 0.0181 25.6%
    17 17 0.0144 20.4%
    18 18 0.0114 16.1%
    19 19 0.009 12.7%
    20 20 0.0072 10.2%
    21 21 0.0057 8.1%
    22 22 0.0045 6.4%
    23 23 0.0036 5.1%
    24 52 830 48 237
    I used 50% of the 2003 sales for NHW11s sold that year. The calender year 2003 overlaps with the NHW20 introduction. Source: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/conformity/emission/emismeth8.htm

So given two methods, we get:

• 44,000 NHW11s - using 3% fleet loss per year to salvage
    • 48,000 NHW11s - using the MOBIL6 vehicle population by age
    Roughly a 10% variation between the two. We can probably improve some of these numbers. Understand that we can't average the two numbers as each is an independent estimate. Rather this gives two, guesstimates and a more accurate vehicle accounting would give a third. The penultimate would be to filter out the NHW11 registrations from the ~250 million vehicle registrations in the USA from all states and territories but you know there comes a point where it is 'close enough.' <GRINS>

For those who are about to ask the obvious question, in about two-four years, the two models converge, ~12 years. Thereafter the DOT model gets pretty grim. The simplest answer is vehicle half-life, 51.4% is ~13 years. Then at ~16 years, 25.6%, half are lost again.

Now there is another fascinating model that could be thrown together to project the inventory of NHW20/ZVW30 battery modules available to keep NHW11 batteries running. But there comes a time when a model built upon an assumption becomes a 'house of cards' that is likely to fall down.

Bob Wilson

ps. It is weird what some of us do for fun.

2 people like this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bob, I noticed you take an unusual interest in not only prolonging the useful like of your G1 Prius, but put effort and resources into the entire US fleet. I think it is *great*

Kudos

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

Very nice find! I am going to venture a guess that the Prius scrap rate will be close to the DOT model for the first 8-10 years of life.

After that, my guess is that the Prius scrap rate will exceed the DOT model. This is because when a significant Prius failure happens, most owners will have no reasonable alternative to Toyota dealer repair with new parts. It will be uneconomic for those owners to have the repair performed (when comparing the cost of the repair to the then-current market value of the car.)

We've seen several recent posts to that effect regarding the Classic. Older 2G appear to be more reliable, but eventually will get to that point, as well.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is a *much* more robust used part market for G2 than G1 Prius, simply based on numbers sold. I think a reasonably motivated G2 owner will have good options unless the car has inverter or transaxle failure.

OTOH, owners who spend $50 for an oil change at the dealer are probably not going to seek out used parts.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is true.

Since you didn't mention the traction battery above, I assume that you think the motivated G2 owner can replace it DIY. To the extent that is true, then I think that same owner could replace the inverter with a salvage part. Replacing the transaxle or engine is moving up the difficulty scale quite a bit especially given the hand tools available to most DIYers.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The history of Prius estimated life:

• 109,000 miles, 10 years - CNW Marketing "Dust-to-Dust" report early in 2006. Obscure in his methods and data sources, his reported owner profiles suggest it was heavily weighted to the early, NHW11s and what appeared to be a small sample set, very small. For example, retired and college students were heavily reported. Yet he never lets the college students 'grow up'.
    • 3% (2.67%) per year - report by Emilio Brahmst, "Copper in End-of-Life Vehicle Recycling". If we take 66% reduction in the fleet, that would be ~240,000 miles after 16 years. At 50% reduction, 390,000 miles after 26 years. The problem is taking a straight-line vehicle loss per year but with only a cumulative data point, the alternatives were worse.
    • Distribution by age for light duty vehicles - Department of Transportation, MOBIL6 model. The 66% point would be 180,000 miles, 12 years. The 50% point would be 195,000 miles, 13 years.
    As for the cost of keeping a vehicle operational:

• warranty - typically handling infantile problems, the 3 year, 6 year and 8 year warranties keep the fleet operational
    • early repairs - often covered by insurance claims, these also go to the service centers and draw upon manufacturer parts. However, we also see growing skills in independent shops and early do-it-yourself owners. It also includes the 'auction' buyers who fix them up 'good enough' to make a little money (very little.)
    • older repairs - are handled from salvage between independent shops and do-it-yourself owners. But eventually the salvage yards reclaim the metals and this source dries up. It becomes very, very difficult to find parts.
    The NHW11 is moving from 'early repairs' as collision coverage is dropped into the 'older repairs' age. It has reached the point that I can not recommend buying an NHW11 except to those who can 'afford' to keep them running.

Bob Wilson

15. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks but I found it via Dept. of Transportation page that I had to cut-and-paste to load it into Excel. I'll go back and check the reference and adjust the authorship appropriately. Regardless, this PDF file does a much better job of explaining Table 5, the source of my table. It also gives me a chance to discuss one change I made due to the USA practice of middle of the year model introductions.

The first entries in Table 5 compared to my version are:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    0 Vehicle Age Table 5 Year Adjusted
    1 1* 0.0530
    2 2 0.0706 1 0.0706
    3 3 0.0706 2 0.0706
    4 4 0.0705 3 0.0705
    5 5 0.0703 4 0.0703
    6 . . . . . . . . . . . .
    The middle of the year model change is evident in the first row.

Although not universal, we often find new model cars introduced in the middle of the previous calendar year. For example, the 10 year anniversary of the Prius in North America was just a week or so ago. Also, the earliest deliveries of the ZVW30 (aka., 2010 Prius) were in May of 2009. So I had this problem of how to deal with a table whose first entry reflects the introduction of new models in the middle of the sales year.

What I did was drop the first year of the table, the "1*" and treated the first full year as the baseline by shifting the model year down to the next row. Had I not done that the first year would show 75% when I had the first year, 2000 sales of the NHW11. I had accurate first year sales number but only an approximation from Table 5, first row.

To achieve a more accurate and less confusing analysis, I simply shifted the model year scale which makes the subsequent analysis true to the information a vehicle owner or buyer will have. For example, we own a used, NHW11, 2003 Prius but I have no idea if it was sold in the last half of 2002 or first half of 2003, the year the NHW20, 2004 Prius.

Still, thank you for the link to the PDF and I will check my source. It is possible there were multiple authors and I would prefer to cite the author(s), of the PDF, Tracie R. Jackson, or the cited source from the PDF, Arcadis, Geraghty & Miller in a report entitled “Update of Fleet Characterization Data for Use in MOBILE6.” Having had my work once plagiarized, I am sensitive to the hurt it causes and appreciate the correction.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The attempt at outlining the natural history of car repair is interesting. My recollection is that car manufacturers are required to inventory repair parts for a certain number of years. This has the effect of setting boundaries in availability and price in the wider market. When it goes away, an inflection point in owner decisions whether to repair a car likely happens.

The rules of thumb people use in deciding when to send a car to the junk yard are based on years of experience with cars that developed accelerated repairs after 100k miles. I suspect the general notion was that when a large repair happens, a queue of other problems is present. Is this still true for high quality ICE cars, or hybrids ? The survival curve of electronics differs from mechanical parts, ICE in a hybrid may have exceptional long life if our guesses are correct, and swap-in parts like batteries do not imply an aged system. If we can estimate the health of the transaxle, large electric motors, and inverter, the decision whether to fix or junk may change.

Patrick, I did not include the battery because I don't view a $1000-2000 repair as reason to junk an otherwise well running car expected to last at least two more years after repair. I base this on opportunity cost of a premature new car purchase.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes. When I helped replace the traction battery in a 2001 Prius with 250,000 miles, it had other maladies that the owner had worked around.

The steering encoder problem was solved by a switch that removes power from the steering ECU. He does a lot of high-speed driving and manual steering is not a problem. In fact, there is evidence from a Julian Edgar hack that reducing power steering sensitivity improves 'road feel'. But in his case, a lot of highway driving, it makes sense to 'live with it.'

Bob Wilson

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I've had a chance to read "Fleet Characterization Data for MOBILE6", EPA420-R-01-047, Tracie R. Jackson to try and determine who to credit for the table used for vehicle age. What I found is a mix of sources including Dept. of Transportation, Census data and a contractor, Areadis, Geraghty & Miller who did yeoman's work reducing the mass of data. However, it is clear that the EPA lead the effort and more hands than Tracie Jackson who documented how the analysis proceeded. This is one case where many hands turned to the task, beyond any one individual, department or contractor. They all did GOOD but for now, I agree that EPA takes the lead for organizing with honorable mention to DOT support.

Bob Wilson