1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

repositioning rear bumper protector?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bob Allen, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: I'm blessed/cursed with an eye for straight lines and detail. If something is mis-aligned and I notice it, I can't then "not notice it".
    Case in point. I got one of those rubber rear bumper protectors that are made for the Matrix but work well on the Prius. I elected to install it over the thin applique, which my dealer said would be fine to do if I didn't want to try removing the applique. When I was finished I noticed that the left side was about an eight of an inch further in towards the car away from the bumper edge. The only way a casual observer would notice is if he or she looked down at the protector and tried to align the leading edge with the bottom edge of the trunk lid.
    For most people, this would probably not be a problem. But, does anyone out there know if it's possible to "unglue" the protector and try to remount it, or should I just learn to live with it? The adhesive has this "don't try to remove me" feel about it, as you would expect, so I think I would probably do damage trying to "fix" it.
    Are any of you bothered by these sorts of things or am I just nuts?
    B
    B

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, Bob, I hate when things like that happen but.....I think you should place more attention on why it bothers you so much. I'm sure no one other than you will ever notice it. Many things in this world are not perfectly aligned. Ever have a photo taken of your face then delete the left side, reverse the right side and attach it in place of the left? You might, or might, not, be pleasantly surprised. :D

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    eeek... i don't think you could do that without having to buy a whole lot of 'goo gone' and new adhesive strips. that stuff is made to be pretty strong.

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"84005)</div>
    You are right that I should be looking at the fixation not at the item in question. I'm taking it as a kind of exercise in "relaxing the standards" and living with imperfections.. I used to do pastel portraiture from photographs and I know from blocking out the photo and transferring it to the paper, that the human face is not symmetrical, yet it "reads" symmetrical when we look at ourselves. I know from my art history studies that Japanese are often incorporates "blemishes" in materials to suggest the impermanence of the natural order. I'm certainly not going to try to remove and realign it.
    Thanks,
    Bob

5. finiyon

finiyon Re-Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you can live with it . . . :roll: