1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reprogram 2018 FOB for 2020 prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by sutherlandws, Mar 16, 2020.

1. sutherlandws

sutherlandws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I was the proud owner of a 2018 Prime for 1 year. Then I got rear-ended, which totaled the car after only 12000 miles. I bought a 2020 Prime Limited to replace it. I still have one of the FOBs from the 2018. Just had my first checkup of the 2020 and asked the dealer if they could reprogram the older FOB to the new car. They said that it cannot be done due to some sort of security change in the 2020 Prime. Anton knows if they ate right, or, if not, how to reprogram the old remote? HW is exactly the same.

2. sutherlandws

sutherlandws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone, not Anton. Sorry!

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure if 2020 PRIME is any different from earlier models, but my understanding is that an used key fob must be first "virginized" before it can be re-used (re-programmed). I recently learned that as long as you have a working fob with you you can DIY programing of additional fobs either brand new or virginized refab fobs with Techstream. But how to "virginize" a used fob, that part I am not sure.