1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reprograming Door Locks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by seeh2o, Apr 25, 2004.

1. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Does anyone know how to reprogram the door locks?

My driver door unlocks as soon as I turn the power off and take the key out of the ignition. I'd prefer that it not unlock at all. When the key is in the ignition and I pull the door handle the door will unlock on it's own (it also does that when the car is off and I've manually locked the driver door), that's what I want it to do when I turn the car off.

If anyone out there knows how to reprogram the locks, please post it!

-Thanks

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, after digging through the Prius Electronic Service Manual for an hour (what I won't do to avoid mowing the lawn), my answer is:

I don't know, but I doubt it. Wish I had a Prius to try it out on. :( I was surprised to find out that removing the key fob from the ignition automatically unlocked all the doors in the first place.

I looked the the ESM (which, as others have pointed out, could be organized better), and there are several pages regarding various customized settings that can be set at the dealership. I concentrated on non-SE/SS settings (since it sounds as if you don't have SE/SS, or aren't using it).

At any rate, didn't find any customizable setting that sounds remotely like changing the behaviour of "car stopped, key fob removed, all doors unlocked". Maybe if you switched wireless locking/unlocking off completely, but that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Actually, couldn't find anything in the Owner's Manual that mentioned this particular feature at all; but that may be due to the paucity of the Adobe Acrobat Reader's search function. The only thing I did find (page 38) is the line that says:
    But I'm not sure if "key slot" means ignition key slot or door key slot.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It means the dash key slot. Just like with SE/SS, the car cannot be locked with a FOB inside the vehicle unless SE/SS has been disabled via the switch. Found this out when I had someone elses Prius a week before mine arrived and I had to leave their key in the car.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Right -- for a SE/SS Prius, there's no way to leave the SE/SS key fob inside the car, and lock the doors. Thanks!

But still confused re: a non-SE/SS Prius (i.e., a Prius without the SE/SS option built-in): Could you lock the (non-SE/SS) key fob in the car if:
    • It's in the dash key slot (aka ignition slot)
    • Loose in the car someplace, but not in the dash slot

• Sorry for the confusion -- just wanted to make sure I had it straight.

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jeff,
    On a non SE/SS you cannot lock the car if the fob is in the slot. When the front door is opened, aside from the annoying sound the lock switch will not function. If the fob is is removed from the slot the door switch will activate and if you have left the fob in the car it will take another fob or a cut key to open the door.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks Mark! That's just what I wanted to know.

Given that, and my tour through the ESM, I'm pretty sure that there's no way to deactivate the doors unlocking when you remove the fob from the dash slot.

7. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    the door unlocks when fob removed from slot? this i gotta try! (havent or never used the fob slot :wink: ) i had no idea the door would unlock!