1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reputable place to buy a Gen 2 transmission with quick shipping?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jhart21, Sep 8, 2023.

1. jhart21

jhart21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone. I could really use some guidance here. Long story short, I was in the middle of a move from AZ to IN. Car broke down in Kansas City MO and I'm told it needs a new transmission (code was P0A90). Quote from the dealership was quite high compared to what I'm seeing online, but many of the online places seem questionable. Has anyone purchased a used or remanufactured transmission from a place they can recommend? Thanks!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

P0A90 has nine 'subcodes', these associated 3 digit subcodes (INFs) may help diagnose the vehicle without throwing parts at it.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a great way to find used parts, and larger dismantlers like LQK are listed as well.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You call around personally to places like LKQ someplace you pass and you see a Prius in the side yard so on and so forth transmissions are not a huge failing point in this model of car keep that in mind It's quite rare actually I've had about seven of these and I have not seen a transmission needing to be pulled yet for any of the MG1 MG2 or the transmission just not going forward I personally have not seen that that doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I think sometimes these things get changed and messed with very unnecessarily I bought a whole transmission from a JDM importer for a generation 3 for $200 I think that's what it was the low mileage takeout from the Japan domestic market locally in North Carolina I could get a generation 2 transmission probably for about $100 maybe $150 regardless of miles or knowing anything about it. I would say that should be pretty close price to about anywhere in the United States now if you go to the large markets in the big city at $100 just because but anywhere out in the county places like that for a generation too I'd say around 150 $175 bucks but I would also want to verify that that's what's needed pretty much it's easy to get caught up into this and be doing things at her unnecessary.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think you would just pick it up on a local You wouldn't have it shipped or if you buy it at the junkyard they'll take it over to the shop if it's in the same town or that sort of thing.

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you planning on doing this yourself? Do you have a place to work on it?

If I were in that situation (middle of a move) I would try to find a reputable local independent mechanic, let them find the transmission (they know who has what locally - you don't), and have them do the work. Finding that mechanic may take some doing. Are you seeing many Prius in that area? If so ask some of the drivers where they go. That would work where I am, as there are Prius everywhere, but my impression is that they are not as common in the midwest.