1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reputable Toyota Dealer in So. California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MRenoir, Dec 30, 2005.

1. MRenoir

MRenoir New Member

Hello
    Has anyone had any experience with the Toyota dealerships in Southern California. I'm wondering if anyone has had any good and/or bad experences they're willing to share. I'm thinking of buying a Prius from one in the Glendale or Pasadena area. I'm looking for knowledgeable and honest (ha!) sales reps and how the shop is (i.e. are they competent)?

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Longo Toyota in El Monte...I've been working with a guy there named Ken Koshiro who has been nothing but kind and helpful. :)

http://www.longotoyota.com/en_US/

Address: 3534 N. Peck Road, El Monte, CA 91731
    Phone: (800) 619-8695 (New Cars)
    (800) 619-8698 (Used Cars)
    or (626) 580-6000
    Fax: (626) 580-6158
    Email: [email protected]

3. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Prius from Dianne at Carson Toyota. She is the fleet dealer. You only want to deal with her and not the regular sales staff. Dianne is terrific and very knowledgeable.

4. inPlacentia

inPlacentia New Member

I recommend Longo Toyota too. I worked with Dennis Wong and he was extremely helpful.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you want to have a nice drive back, call Howard Sheehy, the Internet/Fleet Manager at Kearny Mesa Toyota, 4910 Kearny Mesa Road, San Diego, CA 92111 ph: 858-335-5815, email: [email protected]

Tell him Mary with the Black Prius with the big "owie" sent you from Priuschat.

Kearny Mesa Toyota doesn't add on anything you don't want and won't charge more than MSRP. They have been excellent to deal with. They also do a big volume so can get more cars than some of the dealers, although maybe not as many as Carson. But they don't mark them up either.

Remember not to buy the extended warranty (unless they can match Troy's deal), protectorant, alarms, etching, et al the finance people will try to sell you. Finance is separate from sales. Howard is good to deal with.

6. keqmoore

keqmoore New Member

I went through the Internet sales dept at Hamer Toyota, Mission Hills

Doug McNeely
    Hamer Toyota
    818/521-4311 (cell)
    [email protected]

At the 118/405

He was super nice to deal with and not pushy. I guess through Internet sales they figure you already know what you want. They also sell at MSRP I initially called Carson and they were quite nasty...wanted to mark up $3K above MSRP!

Longo was a bit too long of a drive for me, but I hear they are the largest in So. Calif.

7. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I also wanted to add that Longo is one of the largest Toyota dealerships in Southern California, and they receive a pretty high allotment of Prius' (not as many as Carson Toyota though) AND they are known for selling them at MSRP, with no markups.

8. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would also recommend Longo Toyota--I bought in April from Derek Nygen. I have heard the Pasadena dealership is good too. I would avoid the one in La Crescenta though--just from stories I have heard from friends. They also try to load the cars with extras.

I don't know how the Glendale dealership is and I work two blocks away. Don't know anyone whose bought anything there either.

9. moolman

moolman Member

My family bought 3 Toyota's from Longo, we go there because they are so big that they go on volume and will give you a good deal with minimal hassle. I called them up today, 12/30 and they had no Prius left.

I've been looking in the LA area and all want MSRP and I think can be haggled down a bit especially if you want to buy package #8. I've seen so many #8's in the lots that it's rediculous. I guess not many want to buy a $29K Prius.

Alex

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Welcome to PriusChat!

I, too, bought from Dianne at Carson, but that was in '03, when she was discounting them.

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Welcome to PriusChat to you, too, Alex.

Actually, if you look at the results so far in the thread I put up, "'06 coming in Jan-Feb.", the most popular choices by far are #s 7 and 8, and the least popular #s 1 and 2. So probably some of those you've seen are sold, awaiting their owners on 1/1 or 1/2.

12. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They'll be getting another shipment in the next 1-2 weeks. The Prius I ordered through them is going to be delivered the first week or 2 of January.

13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ventura Toyota in Ventura sells at MSRP, and will put you on a list for your favorite car with a fully refundable $500 deposit (they don't cash the check and give it back to you when you pick up the car).

At least, that's what they say! I'll be picking up my 06 Prius Package 3 as soon as it comes in this month.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In addition to those already mentioned, I bought in 2001 at (what is now) Power Toyota in Buena Park. They were fine. Don't have a sales experience at Claremont Toyota (near Pomona) but I do service there because they are top-notch. Check price and availability at both along with your others.

15. tustin

tustin New Member

Just spoke with Gloria at Carson Toyota. She said they are going to start selling at $1000 over MSRP starting tomorrow. Sigh.

16. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have any personal experience with either of these dealers, but I've heard that Toyota of Hollywood and Toyota of Santa Monica vowed (via KNX 1070) to sell all their Priuses at MSRP (I think their website is LAcarguy.com) with no markups.

17. Color Theory

Color Theory New Member

Hey Alex, if you can name a specific dealership that has a package #8 sitting around, let me know and I'll snatch it up!

18. keqmoore

keqmoore New Member

I just have to post this again! I picked up my Barcellona Red #7 package today from Hamer Toyota in Mission Hills (101/405 on N. on Sepulveda)

It was an absolutely fantastic experience. I went through Doug McNeely in the Internet sales dept (see previous post). No hassle at all! He says they never mark-up the Prius. Always sell at MSRP (and he knew of priuschat, too). I got exactly the model and color I wanted. He offered up a 2005 in November, but I declined and told him about the tax credit. Again, no hassles, just an OK, see you after January.

I dealt with Jon Mach in Finance. I was financing through my credit union. He offered an extended warranty, I initially thought I wanted it, but declined when I went to pick it up today. (to be honest, they were a little high on the EW and I've decided to wait) I was concerned I'd get the hard sale, but there was none! Just an OK, well, lets redo these papers, then.

Doug then went over the car with me and even though he had people in his office wanting a test drive he never made me feel rushed as I went over the prius pick-up checklist. I took as much time as I needed.

I would definitely recommend these guys!

P. S. I was #3 prius pick-up today at 1:30. Doug said 21 were to leave the dealership in the early Jan. allotment. The people in his office wanting the Prius test drive said to him, "if she doesn't want the red, we'll take it." Fat chance, this beauty is mine!

19. Color Theory

Color Theory New Member

Turns out I don't need that information. Toyota of Huntington Beach hooked me up today. It took a bit of back and forth, but I was able to get a silver #7 with leather for $300 more than MSRP on a #8. Supposedly, the leather is of a higher quality, and I like that it's not perforated like the factory leather.

20. tustin

tustin New Member

I had a great experience at Claremont Toyota. Called them on the phone on Monday afternoon to find out what they might have on the lot. I had never called them before and so was not on any list at that dealer. They didn't have the red package #6 or better I wanted, but they tracked down a package #8 for me that day at MSRP. I picked it up a few hours later. I love the metallic Barcelona red. I dealt with Peter the fleet manager. The price was agreed to on the phone before I drove over to pick it up, so the purchase went smoothly. No pressure to buy any extras. I've only bought one car there, but I do recommend that dealer. They claim to be second in volume to Longo.

Thank you all for the great info on this site!