1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resale value of an OEM HV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ShadowAsparagus, Dec 5, 2020.

1. ShadowAsparagus

ShadowAsparagus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, Everyone.

I've been a lurker on here a while, and I had an account on here forever ago, but can't remember log-in creds. So just want to say thanks for all the input here, it's helped me out a lot over the past several years.

Anyways, my 2007 gen 2 was totaled a while ago, and at the last minute I grabbed the HV battery out before scrapping it to keep as a backup for my other Prius.

Now I've decided to try to sell it. I've bought a lot of used cars, so I know how to do my homework. The battery was replaced with a new oem batter one year before i bought the car, about 4 years ago. I've asked for offers, but people are asking what I want for it and I honestly don't know what a fair price is. In the three years I'd owned the care I drove about 70k miles, so I can't imagine the battery has more than 90k, if that even matters.

TIA

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Start at $1500 (New they are $1950 retail and $1650 wholesale) and see what reactions you get. Work down from there. I am presuming you're not in a hurry.

3. ShadowAsparagus

ShadowAsparagus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good to know, thank you!

No, I'm not in a hurry. Like I've said, I've been holding onto it as a backup. I though it was strange when nobody would give me an offer, and instead asking what I want for it.

Thanks again.

#3 ShadowAsparagus, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Back in the early 2000's a hybrid battery pack was worth a fortune... These days not so much... Pricing is all over the map on these and it all depends on finding someone who needs one and offering the best quality/price. If you have lots of spreadsheet data on the pack that helps with a more informed buyer.

My friend who does $20K a month in selling rebuilds has $30K in testing equipment and does great with 2 year warranties buys packs by the truck load for anywhere between $50 to $300 each.

And I've also bought roughly 8 Honda & Prius pack from my local wrecker for $50 each. Most of them were in good shape, but not for long.

Also recently sold my original 1/4 million mile Prius pack that has never had a bad module, was just reconditioned and I had extensive spread sheet data on it and gambled on giving a one year warranty because I have spare loaner packs I could swap it with. My price for that after installation and I got to keep old pack was a very generous $680.

A couple years ago my buddy in our local vintage hybrid group bought a 2013 pack for his 2006 Prius from a wrecker for $800 and it was the best pack I ever worked on but as of a few weeks ago it was the worst pack in our group in terms of capacity and also needed 5 replacement modules.

If I were in your situation I'd realize the greatest value of your spare pack is as a side hustle for income as a service to help others rather than a product that you sell off once and are done with it.

As in invest in a few hundred to a thousand dollars in basic equipment to do module testing and reconditioning and build spread sheets of it and hold onto it as a backup while being on the look out for friend or nearby person in need who just got traumatized from getting a repair estimate from $3k to $5k at a Toyota stealership. When you offer to repair for less than a $1K after they have the trauma of that dealership price in their head, they're very grateful and generous with how much they're willing to spend.

Then swap the pack out and rebuild the bad one and keep the routine going so you always have a spare pack and always able to quickly solve a bad pack in your car or in others.

#4 PriusCamper, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $500 if your lucky. No one is going to believe your story unless you have paperwork even then its 4 years old.

I just bought all new cells for $1600. People come on here all the time saying you can buy a brand new OEM toyota pack for that but not around here.

I would swap it into your other Prius so its gets charged up and doesn't die on you. Keep it. With a spare good pack you can keep your Prius running for years and years.

donbright and Skibob like this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1714.48 + tax.

Battery - 2004-2009 Toyota Prius (G9510-47031) | Tracy Toyota Parts

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i vote $500., but it's whatever the market will bear

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Put the newer battery in the Prius you kept and sell the older one.

The OEM replacement batteries have many more stickers plastered all over them than the original. If you pull out the big black plastic storage tray you can see the difference between an original and replacement battery.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll cut you in on 50% if you can help me resell my healthy junk yard packs I get for $50 for $500.

2GenPrius likes this.
  10. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1. We do this for customers quite often if they have an older Prius with a new battery that their selling and a newer Prius with an original battery that they want to keep for a long time.

Assuming that the battery you have is exactly what you think it is there should be another 7-9 years of dependable life left in it. There's a lot of value in a battery that will last that long. In my opinion you should start at $1,000 and don't take less than $800. If you showed up at my shop with that battery I would pull the cover and check the S/N's on the modules to confirm the age of the pack and give you $800 for it. Then it would get cleaned up and installed in another Prius with a 3 year warranty for about $1200.

The key to getting the most money will be finding an educated buyer. If they don't know what their looking at then they probably won't be willing to pay you what it's worth. Having any kind of documentation to show when/where it was purchased will help a lot. If you know what dealership put it in you may be able to call and get a copy of the repair invoice. You can also look up the cars service history thru Toyota Owners website. Obviously the service history doesn't prove what that battery is but it's a start.

donbright and PriusCamper like this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Local pickup only so Ed's statement still holds true for his situation (and many others). Plus they'll stick on the required $1350 core charge till you come back with the old one. So it's really over $3,000 + taxes upfront costs.

They also sneak this in: " $80 Charge to re-package battery. Fee will be taken out of core charge"

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. 2GenPrius

2GenPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can sell those at $500 all day long down here in So Cal. How many you got?

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have several, but they've all already had replacement modules, so they're of lesser value and am not willing to warranty that far away from me... Usually use them as loaner packs...