1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Researchers find a new slow type of earthquake..."

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by NorwoodIV, Nov 30, 2006.

1. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

I for one find the use of "slow" as very offensive. Not the least bit polically correct! What not just our right label this type of earthquake as retarded.

Let's try "frequency challenged," or "vibration limited."

How would you feel being labeled slow. :D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061130/ap_on_sc/slow_quake

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I doubt this new type of earthquake gives a “rip†. . . or would find “fault†in anyone calling it slow.

The same probably goes for most retards . . . I also doubt they have the mental acuity to care if someone calls them birdbrain, defective, dim-witt, dopey, dull, dumbbell, dumbo, dumdum, dummy, half-witt, imbecile, lamebrain, mentally defective, moronic, numbskull, pinhead, retard, simple, simple-minded, slow, slow-witted, stupid, subnormal, tard, touched, or underachieving.

On the other hand, it probably irks the “politically correct†crowd . . . which is fine with me. :p

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 30 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]355862[/snapback]</div>
    You're right, it hasn't bothered the president yet!

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 30 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]355862[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting viewpoint. Even if true, which I doubt, why would anyone, as you did? Why did you?

5. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Nov 30 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]355880[/snapback]</div>
    Because he's like his heroes, Ann Coulter, who pisses on widows of victims of 9/11; Rush, who kicks disabled people; and now George Will, who spits on parents of kids serving in Iraq. And they wonder why they were trounced in the most recent election.

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

It's coming! The slow quake is coming! Every walk away!….when you get a chance!

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Nov 30 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]355880[/snapback]</div>
    Deliberately insult them by calling them . . . . ? :huh:

Because, as you aptly demonstrated, it upsets the “politically correct†crowd.

If any of you PriusChatters or earthquakes fall under the “tard†moniker AND were offended by my statement, just say so and I will apologize. ;)

8. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 30 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]356070[/snapback]</div>
    If I understand you correctly, then, you would deliberately insult Jane, someone with a disability you've never met who has done you no harm, just to deliberately upset Joe, someone else you've never met who has done you no harm.

Well, it's certainly efficient, I'll grant you that, striking two harmless birds with the same stone.

You keep throwing, too:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 30 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]356070[/snapback]</div>
    Why not just be mature and apologize up front, without compounding the insult?

Why say things you'd likely have to apologize for in the first place?

I'm baffled why anyone would want to be that calculatedly disagreeable. That's quite a disability in itself, if such compulsion can't be overcome.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 1 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]356189[/snapback]</div>
    I would hardly consider the “politically correct†crowd harmless.

It's the “politically correct†crowd, for example, that wishes to mainline “tard†kids into regular school classrooms . . . I guess hoping it will somehow make the “tards†learn more – when in reality, it only holds back the non-tard kids. So then they lower the standards so tard-Jane can advance with her class. :rolleyes: This system is not good for anyone, except, maybe, to give the “politically correct†crowd a warm fuzzy feeling that they are doing something good. NOT!!!! It's genetics, stupid!

I use to work in a building where I had a view from my office out onto a public park. Every Tuesday, a busload of “tard†kids would have an outing and run around the park for an hour or so. Co-workers and I mused whether the “tard†kids actually had a better life than us “normal†people. They were always happy (didn't know better), they were taken care of, and they were always happy (not an oversight repeat). They were happy in their world, and yet “we†weren't always happy in ours.
    Would “we†too be happier living in a smaller mental pond?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 1 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]356189[/snapback]</div>
    You are the one being disagreeable. I'm just stating fact. You are the one trying to speak for others, yet somehow say that it is ME who is wrong without proof that I have offended any "tards" or earthquakes. Let them speak for themselves!

This should be a good bipolar disorder test for you . . . I would love to see how you react – I'm guessing you will laugh at the Bush-bash and cry and get angry at the rest.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_anyKBJFNDk

[“Dee, dee, dee doesn't mean mentally retarded, it means stupid . . . If you are a Dee, please don't marry a Dee. It's genetics don't you see – Your kids will be Dee, dee, dee.â€] At what point does stupid become “mentally retardedâ€? I wonder if Carlos was confronted by the “politically correct†crowd regarding Dee, dee, dee.

Because I am not a “politically correct†type. I don't go around making excuses and trying to put happy faces on everything nature and genetics made "wrong." And I certainly don't apologize when it's not needed. My offer to apologize if/where needed still stands. No takers as of yet. :mellow: But now I will have to wonder . . . if one does come along . . . are they actually just Dee, dee, dee? :lol:
    Where is the dividing line? :huh:

10. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 1 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]356294[/snapback]</div>
    Judging by your posts in this thread, if your mental pond was any smaller, it would be a puddle. A very, very small puddle.

But please, do keep it up. It will remind everyone of Conservative meanness, and The Good Guys will easily walk away with the 2008 election like we did this year.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 30 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]355862[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Sufferin', you are mistaken again. I have known several developmentally disabled people, and they do understand pretty much the same things the rest of us understand, and they do have feelings, the same as everyone else. They learn more slowly. They may read more slowly. They might not ever master higher mathematics or college-level physics. But they certainly do understand when they are being insulted, and they feel the pain of it like anyone else.

Your apparent belief that you are better than they, and therefore have the right to insult them, says something about you.

I've also known some people with Down's Syndrome, and they seem (from my very limited experience) to be kinder, gentler, and more considerate people than most of the folks in our me-first society. But I admit that on this point, my sample size is too small to generalize with certainty.

12. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 1 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]356294[/snapback]</div>
    Got any kids, Sufferin'? You're old enough to be a parent, I think. Imagine that one of your children is mentally retarded, and read your own posts in this thread, especially your last one, as if they were written by someone else. As a parent with a disabled kid, what would you make of the author's attitude?

"Disagreeable" is only one of the milder words I might use to describe it.

You appear to have confused "political correctness" for simple courtesy. They are not the same. Much as it may pain you it is possible to be courteous without risk of being "politically correct."

Priuschat's audience is large enough that several may be parents of children with disabilities. I think you owe them an apology, now, without any of them having to demean themselves by asking you for one. Be a man, Sufferin', not a dee dee dee.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 1 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]356491[/snapback]</div>
    No, none that I know about. :eek: ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 1 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]356491[/snapback]</div>
    So, is this the point at which I should direct your attention back to the original post? :eek:

Please don't tell me that you think it would be demeaning for the parent of a [whatever term suits your sensibilities] to defend their child's honor by asking for an apology . . . or at least a clarification. <_<
    The political correctness side of me thinks you are acting in a hypocritical manner, airportkid, if you think that the case. :rolleyes:

14. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another thing that amuses me is when Republicans accuse liberals of "political correctness". Put six Democrats in a room and ask them about any given issue, and you'll hear seven different opinions. Put six Republicans in a room and ask them about any given issue, and they'll all say in unison, "What did Karl Rove tell us to think?"

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Political correctness" has been turned into a dirty word, like "liberal." But all "political correctness" really means is being sensitive to how other people want to be addressed. "Developmentally disabled" is the "politically correct" term for the people we used to call "retarded." What's so bad about using a term the people concerned feel comfortable with? Is it so hard? Does it hurt the speaker to use a term that does not insult? Or is the real issue here that some people resent being asked not to throw insulting terminology around?

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry, pale alien, that your topic got hijacked by the “I hate everything/everybody†crowd. :( <_<

Wildkow

p.s. BTW they reported that a 9 or greater magintude earthquake had not struck the Pacific Northwest since 1700. Would not the Alaska earthquake in the early 50's with a magintude of 9-9.2 count?

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 5 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]358066[/snapback]</div>
    Pacific NW refers to the continental US.

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Dec 5 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]358074[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, I thought it might be all the same fault system so that they should include that one.

Wildkow