1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reset button for user information on indash screen display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bradywurtz, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bradywurtz

bradywurtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so i recently purchased a Prius Gen II and on the inscreen dashboard there is a settings under users i think and there is a reset button (no the reset button to reset your MPG and Miles tracking thing) for all the user information. I bought the car used and hear somewhere that the car tries to learn from how you drive on how to make the car work better for you.

i figured that i should reset this, so that it learns from how i drive, and not still work off of how the previous owner would drive.

before i reset this, i was averaging about 50+ mpg, and it was great. i thought i would be able to get better mpg if i reset this thing so it would learn how i drive. it's been about 9 months since i bought the car, and about 7 1/2 since i hit that reset button. i'm averaging about 41mpg now. it seems like my car has gotten worse. is there something i can do? or something the toyota dealership can do to help me? or did i just totally f myself over on my car. :(

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you didn't. Cold weather (especially together with short trips, if you do much of that) kill MPGs on every car, it's just more obvious in a Prius.

What are the tire pressures before you start driving for the day?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes ... read the threads on improving MPG's . . . theres a TON of things you can do.
    That said, the reset button simply resets the mpg record to zero. You could drive & drive ... and never hit reset. If for example, the Prius had gone 50K miles averaging 55mpg ... you'd have to drive a HECK of a long way, just to bring the 55mpg average down to 50mpg ... even if you were only getting 40mpg. But reset? Now it'll only take a handfull of miles to effect your average.

4. bradywurtz

bradywurtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forget what they are this second, but they're what the recommended amount that's labeled either on the car or the tires.