1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reset engine computer fault?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Joseph Garcia, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey all, I accidentally ran my 2008 prius out of gas, I thought it was an engine problem so I tried to restart it, now the electric engine won't start at all it seems. I read that I have to reset the car and clear faults. I tried but the smartkey reset option isn't working. There still seems to be charge on the battery and the tank has been filled, any recommendations?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

try disconnecting the 12v negative for 15 minutes

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your traction battery ran down to the point where it won’t start the ICE you will need to get that recharged somehow. You may also have destroyed the traction battery

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If what Bisco suggests doesn't work...
    Make sure you have a least 3 gallons of gas in the tank
    If that doesn't work
    it's possible you drained hybrid battery a little bit lower than
    what is able to start the engine, so you're gonna need to charge the battery up
    with a grid charger like the one hybrid automotive sells, or you can pull pack and recharge each of the
    individual 28 modules with a smart charger capable of charging NimH batteries in the 8volt range.

5. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll give that a try, that was my next guess but I wanted to get an educated opinion. Thanks!

6. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope thats not the case, after the gas tank ran completely dry I tried starting it 3 more times, I could feel the electric engine running but then would shut off. After the 3rd time i got nothing. I was read on one of the forums that the car gets faulted out if you try to start it with no gas as a way to protect itself from running the traction battery down.

7. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I put 7 gallons in, I'm going to try what bisco said and if that doesnt work I guess ill have to try recharging the cells. Thanks for the info!

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid Automotive used to have a map of all the mechanics that use their professional battery maintenance equipment but it seems to have vanished during their website migration. So you might want to call them and find out who has a charger near you. Or if you're more DIY you can buy a charging harness&fan controller from them for $149 and borrow a charger from Eric Becky, aka Hybrid Battery Hero in Wisconsin.