1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

resetting the mpg on the lcd

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by feethanddooth, Mar 20, 2005.

1. feethanddooth

feethanddooth New Member

this month ive reset the mpg twice on the lcd but have not had the screen up were the reset button is displayed. i noticed it has happened after i have gotten my tanked filled and i was resetting the odometer gauge. is there a link between the two? how can i avoid doing resetting the lcd mpg in the future if this is the case? thanks :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Consumption screen tracker will always reset after you've fill up at least... 2? gallons or more.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Someone previously said that they notice it resetting predictably about a half-block from the gas station. I had never noticed because I habitually and ceremoniously reset it before I even slip into Park.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"74063)</div>
    If you do that you can still see it reset...it will do it again once the tank level graph hits full (a few seconds after actually).

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"74063)</div>
    I'm bad with the typos. What I meant was that I reset before I slip into Drive. Or slip out of Park. But of course, I'm in Park when sitting at the station. I'm sure you knew what I meant, I just thought I'd clarify that.

6. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"74078)</div>
    Actually I've watched this and it seems that it doesn't reset until the car hits around 5 mph.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony, I think that might've been me. I'm having better luck now. I do believe it'll wait til the gauge reads full

8. jeepien

jeepien Member

The MFD Consumption display resets to zero when both of the following conditions are met:

1. The fuel gauge has stabilized at its new reading (which must be at least one bar higher than its old reading).

2. The wheels have turned one revolution.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Now THAT makes sense.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeepien\";p=\"74201)</div>
    Yup, that sounds right to me....I just want to make one tiny clarification. The wheel revolution must occur after the guage has stabilized.

IOW, if you drive off from the pump but then stop before the guage stabilizes the consumption screen won't reset until shortly after you start moving again.

11. feethanddooth

feethanddooth New Member

ok. well then how do you keep track of your mpg for the month? i was letting it run but if the case is that it will reset eah time i refill then i cant do it on the lcd. any suggestions?

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Pad and pen, or PDA & spreadsheet, or laptop & spreadsheet, or pad & pen & desktop & spreadsheet, or memory & desktop & spreadsheet.

13. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

As a new owner (as of Friday) I want to make sure I get my strategy for tracking mpg straight. So, I understand the reset at the pump; and, I can easily right down the MPG as well as record the odometer and gallons pumped (thus giving me all the wonderful information needed to calculate mpg and confirm the console reading, as discussed in many threads.

But, I'd also like to track mpg on given stretchs of road (e.g. on my way to work). So, I figure I can do the same thing; but, I haven't fully thought out the math... If I reset, it seems I better note the miles at the time too, so I can have two out of the three variables defined.

Anyway, if someone else does this sort of thing, does it work out well for you?

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(feethanddooth\";p=\"74279)</div>
    Dan's the man. He exactly right.

Only I track every fill-up, not on the month. I figure that when the month ends, I will have an uncertain amount of gas (known as Schroedinger's quantity) in the tank for my calcualtions.

I keep a small pad of paper and a mechanical pencil in the compartment under the stereo. I actually only use the paper for jotting ideas and notes. But with the pencil I record the ODO-A's miles (nnn.n) and the MFD's tank mileage (nn.nMPG). The gas receipt contains the date, gallons and price. That should be enough to track.

If you do not get a receipt when you get gas, use the little pad of paper to record the gallons, date, and price.

Many people here have spreadsheets availble you can use as examples for your own. They all have their reasons for capturing the information they do and displaying it in their particular way. In the end, all that's important is that it makes sense to you.

(You can see mine by clicking on my signature)

15. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I usually just use the 5 minute bars on the consumption screen to review mileage over a recent stretch of road. They are not ideal but they do give you a general idea. Of course resetting the calculated average will work as well but makes a tank by tank comparison more complicated.

As for multi tank mileage, I use the fuel logbook at the GasBuddy web site to do that. It calculates tank by tank averages as well as the cumulative average for the year. The site also helps locate good gas prices in many local areas.

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"74297)</div>
    Dan's the man. He exactly right.
    [/b][/quote]
    Ditto. Only difference from Tony is that I use a spreadsheet on my PDA.

I'm more interested in the information long-term -- i.e., what's my mileage like, overall, in each year of the car's life, or between seasons.

17. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"74340)</div>
    And I got that covered too, Jeff. I sync files on my Dell Axim and keep all my mileage files on my PDA. I do this because I sync at work and at home. It's easier to transfer files that way and avoid versioning. The only thing I don't like is that sometimes making changes on the Axim messes up my charts.

18. feethanddooth

feethanddooth New Member

i think you guys are all insane.

but i like it. :)