1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resistor to Fix MAF Error with Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cliffmark1, Nov 1, 2011.

1. cliffmark1

cliffmark1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in a high altitude setting.

I've built a little cold air intake that fits the engine compartment well but when installed the engine shuts off and theres a check engine light (MAF) and /!\.

Does anyone know the stock output voltage range of the MAF sensor?

Has anyone run a small resistor off ground to bring the MAF readings back in range when utilizing a high airflow solution?

I won't respond to any "The Prius is the Pinnacle of Automotive Engineering" type answers just solutions. (Even Lambo/Ferrari/Range Rover/BMW/Jag/MB/... owners successfully modify and improve the performance of their cars, just saying).

Thanks in advance.

2. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But... The Prius IS the Pinnacle of Automotive Engineering! :madgrin:

1 person likes this.
  3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This might help:

MONITOR DESCRIPTION​
    If there is a defect in the sensor or an open or short circuit, the voltage level will deviate from the normal
    operating range. The ECM interprets this deviation as a defect in the MAF meter and sets a DTC.
    Example:
    When the sensor voltage output is less than 0.2 V or more than 4.9 V and if either condition continues for
    more than 3 seconds.​
    MONITOR STRATEGY
    TYPICAL ENABLING CONDITIONS
    TYPICAL MALFUNCTION THRESHOLDS​
    P0100:
    P0102:
    P0103:​
    COMPONENT OPERATING RANGE​
    Related DTCs P0100: Mass air flow meter circuit range check (fluttering)
    P0102: Mass air flow meter circuit range check (low voltage)
    P0103: Mass air flow meter circuit range check (high voltage)
    Required sensors/components Mass air flow meter
    Frequency of operation Continuous
    Duration 3 seconds
    MIL operation Immediately (when engine speed is less than 4,000 rpm)
    2 driving cycles (when engine speed is 4,000 rpm or more)
    Sequence of operation None
    The monitor will run whenever the following DTCs are not present None
    Mass air flow meter voltage Less than 0.2 V or more than 4.9 V
    Mass air flow meter voltage Less than 0.2 V
    Mass air flow meter voltage More than 4.9 V​
    Mass air flow meter voltage 0.4 to 2.2 V

the MAF is a bridge, with a temperature sensor and a heater in the top two legs, and two fixed resistors in the bottom. An opamp provides feedback to provide enough current into the bridge. You would need to modify the resistors in the bridge, or mechanical restrict the airflow over some of the temperature sensor to compensate for the higher flow and lower temperatures.

1 person likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps those owners have the advantage of knowing what they are doing.

5. mrcuiser

mrcuiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One thought...

Please make sure there are no restrictions to the current airflow as opposed to the original, however little. Nowadays things are set so precise, it takes very little modifications to cause issues. Just the mere change to a different airflow which is cooler could create issues due to cooler air having a difference in mass versus the original airflow.

6. cliffmark1

cliffmark1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the info guys. Vertex (my fav brand of DJ equipment) thats exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'll do some measurements and trial and error (starting with a 30 ohm resistor) to find the right combo for a conical style air filter and post back if I find the right combination.

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What was the outcome of this? I'm having the same issue with the setup below...thinking it HAS to be a voltage issue. Getting codes P3190 and P3191 with my 'Torque' app ... as soon as I swap back for stock and clear codes...car runs normal. Using the same MAF for both setups, so I know thats not an issue. Do I need to ground the intake!?!

[​IMG]

I've already noticed a 2-3 mpg gain just by removing the entire snorkle/silencer from the airbox, I can only hope that it will improve more once I figure out this issue. Once I have the voltage corrected, I'll run the intake tubing down into the lower wheel well under the passenger headlight.

SFO likes this.
  8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    "When DTC P3190, P3191 are detected and the remain of the fuel is little, the computer judges the cause as a fuel shortage, and after the next trip, when the supply of fuel is confirmed, it turns off MIL, but the memory of DTC still remains" - but now what?

9. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't know a lot about this car yet, so looking for a fix for this issue is not resulting with many good results.... A Simple MAP/MAF Enhancer This site talks about finding the signal wire on the MAF and adding a resistor, but I really don't know exactly.

10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Interesting...

[​IMG]

Now... how to add the resistor...

12. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the performance work I've seen done by professional tuning shops (most notable: Norwood Performance- Ferrari Service, Parts and Performance Upgrades), a change in air / fuel delivery is usually done with an ECU remapping. The main reason for this is that the numbers seen by the ECU lose their meaning when the underlying hardware is swapped, ex.: a given voltage will no longer represent the fuel volume it used to given a different injector. Without a proper map, a modern engine will be running with suboptimal power and/or efficiency.

As it has been said in another thread, your MAF is likely sending signals to the ECU that are out of its programmed range. Adding a resistor to the MAF may bring the voltages back into the ECU's range, but how will you know that you're sending the right voltage for a given airflow? You're tricking the ECU into thinking some volume of air is being pushed through the intake, and it's going to work its magic (adjusting fuel delivery and/or ignition timing) accordingly, but it's going to be working on faulty information.

Most likely result: loss of MPG. Least likely result: any performance gain.

It's your $$$...

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    putting that 3" pipe in front of your intake manifold isn't gonna help it breathe more, but it will lower velocity through the maf, which isn't good on an otto cycle. w/ atkinson i wouldn't guess it would help. i would like to check manifold vacuum before choosing larger intake pipe.

14. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that was mean, but i like it.
    i'd have to say most owners don't know what they're doing. they hire people who know what they're doing, or at least advertise well.

xs650 likes this.
  15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LMAO