1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Restart after sitting 8 months

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tombukt2, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm putting a new engine in the gen 3 2013 transmission 2. I cannot believe that it's just going to start right up so I guess I need to come up with some kind of way to charge up the hybrid battery maybe I don't want to spend $500 on a grid charger I'd rather buy one homemade out of a computer power supply or such I'll probably only do this one time

#1 Tombukt2, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Buy an rc toy car charger

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The RC hobby charger is capable of charging the whole pack 240 some odd volts seriously I thought that was just for individual modules what I'm thinking I'm talking about is what they call a grid charger prolong is one of the big makers of these things it's a round green and white thing I would assume it has to be able to put out close to 300 volts to charge the whole battery as a whole not individual modules my battery was working fine when I shut the car down in the engine blew up it's been sitting 8 months for the last 4 months if I had a charged 12 volt battery and we go out and put it neutral it would tell me I had to check the hybrid system and blah blah blah yes because the engines blowed up and I've got stuff disconnected under the hood ready to take the motor out so of course I better check the hybrid system but now all I want to do is raise the voltage of the complete battery pack the 28 cells whatever's in the silly thing I'm staring at it it's right here in the trunk I just want to hook some leads up to something leave them permanently and be able to plug this little silly charger in whenever I desire apparently

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, you'd have to go module by module but that's the inexpensive way i have not seen another way to charge the whole pack except grid chargers too bad you can't rent one have you measure the current pack voltage if it were me and it did need charging i'd pull it put doc prius on and charge the low module snot that big a deal

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you don't need something purpose-built for hybrid batteries, you can often find some sort of DC power supply in the right ballpark for voltage and current for less out of pocket. If there's a university nearby they might have an equipment salvage outlet where you could find, say, an old electrophoresis power unit. Set it for a low current and keep an eye on things.

It's kind of a bad idea, of course, unless you make a solid effort to account for all the reasons it's a bad idea.

But, not to skip over the easy stuff, have you tested your luck and just pushed the button yet to see what would happen?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't there a thread here on building a grid charger for less than $100.?