1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Restoring capacity of fuel tank(bladder)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AAWADKE, Mar 24, 2007.

1. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

Last may when i purchased my car i was able to pump in around 11 gallons of gas giving me a range of 525 miles......but over winter as many fellas here suggested the bladder shrink i could only pump in 7-8 gallons........now that 70 farenheit id back its still 8 gallons.........is there a fix???

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Give it a couple refills before you try anything drastic.

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Also remember that even though the ambient temp is in the 70’s the temps underground are still much lower. Pumping cold gas into the take will make it stiffen up. Give it a little time.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Basically, there's no fix. Some folks over-fill, which gets more gas in but is bad for the car. Remember that the bladder is what allows the car to be PZEV: there are no gas fumes evaporating from the tank, as there are in other cars. The bladder is a nuisance, but it's good for the environment. :)

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Reading these forums over the past month or so, I was pretty sure I had seen 8.x something stated by posters as the feul capacity for Prius. Well, now I have my Scan Guage II and I want to set the feul tank size, so I checked my manual for the 2007, and it says 11.9 Gal.

I thought about posting a new thread to ask if the tank size may have increased for 2007, but though I had better be diligent about checking for previous discussions, and this is the first on I have found.

From this thread, I gather that over 11 galons has been the capacity, but that in the winter time, the stiff badder may limit it to around 8. I guess if I want Distance till Empty to be accurate, I had better start with 8 Gallons, and then maybe adust is up in steps if I find there is actually more room.

Has anyone tried heating the bottom of the gas tank with a bottle torch before refeuling? It sooms that that could warm up the bladder and help to get a complete fill. I think I may be trying this soon at a gas station near you.

6. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 26 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]412409[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :blink:

7. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 26 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]412409[/snapback]</div>

I can just see that one. Some dude pulls up to a gas pump gets out and starts to heat the tank with a blow troche.

Next days post reads Crazed hybrid Driver Wields Flame Thrower. Yesterday a crazy green piece tree hugging hybrid drivers attempted to burn down a local gas station in protest of foreign oil. Witnesses say he was yelling something in Arabic as local police arrested him. Local authorities have issued a warning to all Americans stating that hybrid drivers are to be regarded as possible terrorist or terrorist supporters. Be extremely cautious of all hybrid vehicles and the drivers of them.

A witness named Bobby Joe Billy Frank said the man had a beard and smelled bad. He also stated he has never trusted anyone who doesn’t drive a truck. His father Bobby Joe Billy Frank Sr. said that anyone who doesn’t drive a truck is a communist.

Next week we will investigate the rumor that one tenth of all revenues from hybrid sales are going to support terrorist organizations around the world. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 26 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]412450[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, that sounds like it could be a story line from 24.

9. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Mar 24 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]411667[/snapback]</div>
    All you have to do is attach a Schrader valve to the gas cap. Before you fill up drive up to the tire pump and pressurize the fuel bladder for a few minutes.

Just to set the record straight - this is a spoof - don't actually try to pressurize the fuel bladder. After following this forum for almost a year I'm really afraid some of the genius's here might actually try it.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the Tire Pump Solution, would you use 42 psi like the front tires, or 40 psi like the back tires? Well, the filler neck is in the rear, so I guess it must be 40 psi, right?

11. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 26 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]412507[/snapback]</div>
    Best way is to go with what ever the speed limit is in your state! :rolleyes: