1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Restoring life to a faithful old Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DragonJames, Jul 8, 2021.

1. DragonJames

DragonJames New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello PriusChat community! My name is James and I'm writing you from Austin,Texas. First time user and first time post. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm looking for some collective wisdom and insight, so what better place than the authority on all things Prius. So the goal of my post is simple...Refresh a tired 2005 Prius back to classy ride status. Trouble is, my wife and I aren't sure where to start. So we figured PriusChat might be able to offer some suggestions.

With that I'd like to introduce you to,The Black Pearl. My wife bought the car new in 2005 and it's really served our family well. It's clocking just under 200K and the local dealer feels there's a lot more lifespan with the vehicle. Mechanically the car is solid as a rock. Cosmetically, the car looks tired.
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    Sure, we could buy another newer car, but we don't feel good about letting go of car that's paid for, affordable to drive and maintain, and that's been good to our family. So we want to put some money back into The Black Pearl so that it looks nice and people can tell we take care of the vehicle. We're not looking for Show Stopper level, but we are open to upgrading cosmetic aspects of the vehicle so that people notice it's more than your standard old Prius. For example, Lower Springs for a slight drop in stance, maybe some 16" Touring wheels or equivalent, Re-paint of Front Hood and Front/Rear Bumpers, refresh of the Paint and Wax, sway-bars, new front headlights, replacing front grille and all the damaged plastics around the under carriage and wheel wells, tinting of windows, etc... We're looking at a budget of $2500 and are willing to hit up the local junk yards for lower cost parts.

So basically, if this were your vehicle and budget, what would you do? Thank you in advance to all those who share insights! -James
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most of your desired improvements can easily be done yourself... But I'd stay away with spending money on larger wheels and tires and chassis stiffening parts. Way too expensive for an old car. And seeing as you're in Texas you'd be better off buying some lifting pads to raise the car an inch rather than lower it.

If I were you I'd just clean it real good and find a used replacement hood with better paint and invest that $2K on a Toyota hybrid battery upgrade; NexPower Energy pack. They're superior in every way especially during a heat wave when your AC drops your hybrid pack charge down to 3 bars.

This pack is compatible with Gen3 Prius (2010-2015) so you can use it in your next Prius you get years down the road too!

#2 PriusCamper, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  3. DragonJames

DragonJames New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good insights, PriusCamper. You're right about the battery drain with the AC. I tend to wish the car was white during the summer.

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would replace those headlights first - safety item. A pair of TYC's is $132 on RockAuto.com, and that company has a pretty good reputation for fit and quality.

Then try a junkyard for the grill and under body plastic bits. Some of those things, like the fender liners, you can also get at Rock Auto. If you get really lucky at the junkyard you might find a hood and bumper cover with the right colors, and that would probably be cheaper than having a body shop repaint them. On the other hand, if you can bring those parts in loose to the paint shop they might do it for a bit less, since they could just sandblast it them and paint them, which would remove all the labor needed to mask off the car.

I would not mess with the suspension or wheels. It isn't going to look better at a different ride height and the wheels you have look fine in the pictures.

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can polish and clear coat those headlights and they'll look near new.

6. DragonJames

DragonJames New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the recommendations! Appreciate that. I like the idea of new headlights as I replaced the rear ones from the same brand and you’re right, they’re pretty solid quality for the price. I had them polished years ago by the Toyota dealership and I don’t think they did a really good job. They kinda went right back to yellow months later. I’ve used some acrylic polish for motorcycle helmets that works really well too. Ultimately, replacement will be the clearest option.

Good call on the junkyard and removal of the hood too. I’m gonna starting shopping around my area for pricing.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is evidence on here that in sunny hot climates that hybrid battery in the darker colored Prius don't last as long. But it's probably more about how you take care of your car in hot weather than anything else.

8. MScelery

MScelery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Having my first darker colored Prius now, any advice on how to take care of it in hot weather?

To the OP: I always dig seeing the old Prii. Wish I had like a 2007 or something sometimes.

2011 Prius w/ solar roof (RIP)
    2019 Prius (traded)
    2013 Prius
    2021 Prius Prime
    (In that order)

9. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't replace the headlights if I were you, just polish them.

The new headlights will yellow fairly quickly.

With a drill polish pad and some Mother's Polish, you could take 5 minutes 1-2 times a year polishing each headlight and they'll look good as new.

The only thing to worry about is if there's damage on the inside of the headlights from heat build up due to the Halogen/incandescent bulbs.

This really isn't fixable and would warrant a replacement with an upgrade to LED or HID bulbs to prevent damage in the future.

HID or LED bulbs don't cause this problem because they run cooler when emitting light.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keeping the hybrid battery from getting too hot is key... So parking your car all day in full sun with windows rolled up and then jumping into hot Summer rush hour traffic will maximize the heat. Alternatively, parking in the shade, keeping windows slightly down and putting a sun shade on the dash can help. Also the cooling system for battery pack has its intake inside the cabin. So if you have your AC on and keep your cabin temp cool, you're battery pack will stay cool too.

11. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drive cars a long time. What I've done to freshen up a car:

1. Professional detailing - get all of the dirt out of the carpets, shampoo the seats, clay bar the exterior and a coat of wax makes all the difference. They can fix the headlights, too.
    2. Replace the mats if needed, that's a relatively cheap upgrade - especially going for all-weather mats, if you're outdoorsy.
    3. Catch up on any missing maintenance.
    4. A new head unit with bluetooth, a backup camera and modern maps app?