1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Restoring Smartkey unlock capability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sideyt, Jul 11, 2010.

1. sideyt

sideyt Junior Member

If you abuse (like I did) the unlock button (I wish it was easier to open all doors) the little switch mounted on the circuit board will freeze and no longer click.

To perform open heart surgery 101 and avoid the incredible cost of a new key proceed as follows:

1) take out the battery so anything you do in the next step will not cause any electrical problems like shorts.

2) With the end of a small sharp knife pry very gently under the rubber right beside the unlock logo. (On the picture, you can see the slight bulge where I pried to the right of the diagonal scratch on the rubber) The rubber is made like a grommet so you will encounter resistance as you hit the case and need to change your angle of attack slightly to enter the case. Pry up very very gently and very slightly. (Its dark inside and you may be able to see the metal switch that you are prying but discretion is the keyword here!) Your wound should be no longer than about 1/10 of an inch. Take the knife out.

3) Try now to see if you have restored the unlock function. The travel on this button is very slight and requires much less effort and travel than the lock capability.

4) If it clicks properly, push the rubber back gently and you are done.

5) Replace the battery.

I was able to fix two keys this way. I don't know yet how long my fixes will work. But the lights on the car now flash when I lock/unlock and I no longer have to use the key. I would recommend avoiding water since the smartkey will no longer be waterproof.

Attached Files: