1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Results of 3-month hibernation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill Lumbergh, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been deployed to Guam since May 24th and I just got back today. Of course, bring the Prius back to life was near the top of the list of stuff to do.

I had unhooked the 12V battery negative cable before I left to prevent it from being dead when I got back, so a simple reconnect is all that was required. Well, simple, except for the hatch opening. I knew it wouldn't open without power, so I looked up the hatch manual release. I finally found it in the "I" section of the manual, under "If the hatch button won't work". Piece of cake.

Once open, the battery was reconnected and the car fired right up like a champ. Even after all that time disconnected, the traction battery still had the max number of blue bars, the engine was quiet, and (shudder) the reverse beep was back.

After about 5 minutes of frustration, I finally got the reverse beep shut back off. It really is incredibly annoying.

Despite using Sta-Bil in the tank before I left, I suspect my fuel economy will be trash.

Things lost from the extended storage/power disconnect: fuel economy due to petroleum degradation, clock time, radio presets, reverse beep disable, trip meter values, clean exterior.

Things not lost: Tire pressure (HA!), new car smell (I missed it!), traction battery charge.

It was truly a pleasure to drive my own tight-handling, super-quiet car after driving rental Caravans, F-250s, Quests, buses, Econoline vans, and a Magnum. None of them compare.

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome back, and enjoy your Prius. I'm glad it 'stored' so well for you!

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome home! Sounds like you're happy to be back with your Prius again after many months gone. :) Glad to hear that things are running well after being reconnected.

4. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Instead of disconnecting the battery, would it be safe to connect and leave connected one of those jump start devices that plug into the power and have their own battery?
    If so, it would save resetting all those things that are lost when the battery is disconnected.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    welcome back! Good advice to Prius owners who expect an extended leave - disconnect the battery. I guess that goes with almost any car.

6. Plain_jim

Plain_jim New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Sep 6 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]315537[/snapback]</div>
    I also have this question. When I used to ride a motorcycle, I used to hook it up to a BatteryTender Plus if I wasn't going to ride it for a while; it kept the battery charged nicely, and has circuitry to prevent overcharging and the attendant dangers thereof. I would plan to do the same for the Prius if I needed to unless somebody can give me a compelling reason to avoid it.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Plain_jim @ Sep 7 2006, 05:16 AM) [snapback]315617[/snapback]</div>
    The main reason I left my battery disconencted was the lack of a power outlet near my underground parking spot. Otherwise, I'd have done the same.

Mileage is about 44 so far for the tank, temps in the high 40s to low 60s. :(

8. jbhorner

jbhorner New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Sep 7 2006, 02:30 AM) [snapback]315620[/snapback]</div>
    On a Highlander Hybrid, disconnecting the 12V battery requires a special procedure to reset the throttle control---or something like that. Failure to do so will result in a vehicle that has lower fuel economy, and idle issues.

I wonder if the same thing is true for the Prius...

Joel

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I store my RX-7 for the six month winters we have here in Alberta. No need for fuel stabilizer for that period. If it's going to be a year or so, then yes. The presence of fuel stabilizer may account for the lower mileage. Any additive I've ever seen will lower mileage a bit. Including the ones they put in "premium" gas.

A "battery tender" is a great addition for the Prius. It isn't supposed to affect delicate electronics, and it isn't supposed to overcharge batteries. With no power near the car it would be rather useless though.

Does the electric power steering have to be reset in the Prius when the battery is disconnected? It does in the Mazda RX-8.

Once "OFF", the Prius traction battery is completely disconnected (relays in both lines). It will not reconnect while the 12V battery is disconnected, so the only loss will be the internal leakage of the HV battery.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no special procedure for disconnecting/reconnecting the 12v battery- you just lose the auto window, radio presets, clock, etc that the OP mentioned.