1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

results of cross country trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Maximus, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Went from Chicago to Arkansas for the Holiday. Packed up the family and gear (basically 4 adults) for a week. Just barely enough room for all.

The car handled better than expected in Arkansas' hills. Never short on power even with the full load.

The tires handled the wet curves well - much better than expected actually for oem junk tires.

The seats did get a little uncomfortable after 8 or 9 hours, but then any seat will after that long.

Put on over 1500 miles, and averaged 44 mpg. Not bad for a full load, hills and stormy winds.

Unfortunately, a dog decided to play guided missile as I went by at 70 mph on I-44. Took out the bumper, part of the undercarriage, and a fog light. My reservoir thermos now makes a lot of noise when pumping in and out. I'm hoping it's just broken insulation letting noise out. I'll update this post when I get repaired. I may go ahead and get the gas tank upgraded as I think this will be a lengthy process. I am not looking forward to my 100+ mile daily commute without my prius :(

2. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The estimate is $1,500. Parts were ordered Monday, all but 1 came in by Wednesday, the bumper cover came in Friday. Dropped car off Saturday for an expected 3 day repair.

3. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: results of cross country trip - repairs done

$2,050. 1 Week and 3 days in the shop. Sparky's home. And she's as good as new.

Since the insurance company paid for it, I don't have a complete list of parts and labor charges. Essentially, the bumper cover, grill, condenser, the wheel well liner, fog light assembly and other parts under the bumper all had to be replaced. After getting the parts and starting the repair, they determined the solenoid for the reservoir pump was broken and had to order more parts. The replacement of the solenoid set off the check engine light. So the body shop had to take it to a dealer to reset the light.

I was worried after hearing horror stories about other people not being able to get parts, but they were all available in 1-3 days.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maximus,
    If you are satisfied with the repair and the employees, please share with us where the work was done.

5. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Collision Revision, Larkin Ave., Joliet

In addition to a fine repair, they washed the car, shampooed the trunk mat (I had it all muddy from my work boots) and possibly the seats too, cleaned all the glass, the instrument panels, the dashboard. They even filled a cup holder with mint candy.

They were very good about updating the progress of the repairs. Friendly employees, but I didn't have time to chat about the car or the work as I had to drop off and pick up just before their closing time.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry about the dog...

glad to hear you got great service though. a good mechanic is a very valuable asset