1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resurrection of old threads

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by daniel, Aug 17, 2009.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Recently I happened to peek into a thread that was two years old, and had been resurrected by someone who apparently didn't realize it.

I wonder if it would be possible to implement a feature whereby, when you open a thread that has been inactive for some long length of time (precise time to be determined by Danny and/or the mods) a prominent notice will appear, which would say something along the lines of:

"This thread has been inactive for X years. Please be aware, before posting to this thread, that the topic might no longer be of interest."

I am not suggesting that thread resurrection necessarily be banned. Just that posters should be asked to reconsider first.

1 person likes this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What I find irritating is when someone reopens an old thread and asks a question that isn't even on topic. It happens a lot on another forum that I have been on for several years.

There are times when it is good to resurrect an old thread, but I think you are correct that many times it is done by accident.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that some sort of pop-up would be nice. Nothing that would stop you from reopening an old thread, but something to clue you in on the age. I think a lot of times people do what we tell them to do...use the search function. They do, they get a hit, but fail to notice the original date then post and all hell breaks loose!

This is a good thought.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd rather see a new post in an old thread instead of the 7 threads about the inaccuracy of the fuel consumption display, or the 11 threads about the Gen III not having a gas tank bladder, or the 17 threads about turning off the reverse beep. :p

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At ecomodder.com there is the date the thread was started next to the title of the thread. While it still may be an active thread (or not) the user at least knows when the thread was started.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you really think OS X is a better OS than Windows XP?

Tom

1 person likes this.