1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

? retain salvage rights on "totaled" Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rschulzejr, Aug 7, 2009.

1. rschulzejr

rschulzejr New Member

My 2007 Prius with 28K miles was rear ended by a Ford F250 two weeks ago. Fortunately my teenage daughter, who was driving, was not at fault and suffered no injuries.

The insurance adjuster has deemed the car to be a total write off, and has offered me a settlement of $21K. In reviewing the ins co paperwork, I note that the insurer "retains the right to salvage" if I accept the settlement. There appears to be an option for me to retain the salvage rights, although I assume that my settlement price would be diminished too.

Would anyone recommend retaining the salvage rights in this situation? I've tried to attach photos of the damage, but I can't seem to get the attachment to work off of my Mac.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take the insurance company offer of 21K...

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you can buy it back, if you want, but will have a salvage title

4. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I have never done this with a Prius, but I have purchased other cars back from the insurance company and it is a simple process. I don't know that I would buy it back for more than 2-3K. That being said if everything up front is still good it could bring in much more for parts or a selling to a Prius salvage/repair guy. Keep us informed of your decision.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you want to retain the salvage rights? Just curious.