1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Retrofit Factory Navigation?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prianista, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Notice that it was just a quick comment, without any information like HOW, WHERE or HOW MUCH? The bulk of the response is on the DMV stickers.

3. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

What kind of an authority is this Mercury News staff writer? He provided no evidence of any kind. The general consensus on PC is that retrofitting the Prius with factory navigation is virtually impossible and prohibitively expensive.

Vince

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    haha, i'd like to see him try.

5. aforonda

aforonda New Member

I actually just bought an 07 touring model without the gps package, love it but regretted not buying the gps option. Called my dealer and they said they cannot add it after market, sounds like the only way to go now is portable or use the hack thats floating around here to somehow use a portable that displays in the in dash display minus some of the features.

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Perhaps the writer didn't really mean, "The Prius can be retrofitted for GPS, which is usually cheaper than buying one with it installed." Perhaps they meant, "You can get a third-party GPS for the Prius (either portable or built-in), which is usually cheaper than buying one with it installed."

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 21 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]336126[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely. Notice that the word "factory" or "oem" is NOT present in the writer's reply. It would have been clearer if the adjective "third party" or "after market" had been used.

I would suggest Prianista drop the writer a quick email if they really believe the writer meant "factory".

- Tom

8. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 21 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]336126[/snapback]</div>
    The word "retrofitted" pretty well only means one thing: Fitted with factory parts after the fact.

It's possible that he may have meant "3rd party" but then that's what he should have said. I'm sure the person who wrote that letter is going to be mighty disappointed to find out that the car cannot be retrofitted after all.

Vince

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 21 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]336250[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, just try taking that arrticle to a dealer to "prove" it can be done. :D

10. Jedi2155

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    if you're talking about this:
    Well, first off the english is horrible, making things rather difficult to understand. What i think he's saying is that he can add a reverse camera and bluetooth capability to the car, not the nav.

12. drdorann

drdorann New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 24 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]337264[/snapback]</div>

I ordered a 2007 Touring w/all options except leather, and mine came in without a backup camera or
    navigation or an MP3 outlet. I cannot wait for the loaded model as I have a lease car that needs
    to be turned in before the end of the month. I did find a loaded Touring model in Utah on EBay,
    however even with splitting the shipping costs with the dealer, I will be saving about $3K by having
    it done on the outside. I am having a BlackBird Alpine Nav. System installed in the trunk with
    a 6 1/2" screen installed below the radio control area. This can be uninstalled and moved to another
    car in the future. The Blackbird in the trunk can be taken out easily and put in a cradle of my other
    car when needed.
    As for the backup camera, the unit is built into the license plate holder, and you can view it through
    the 6 1/2" Nav. screen. I do not have the brochure for this and do not know who makes it at this
    moment. I'm picking up the car in two days from the installer. The dealer is installing the MPS jack
    at their cost.
    The only other issue I have is the quality of the stereo system. I am going to have the same
    installer install an additional speaker in the rear center for a cost of about $200.00.
    I know I will get less money for the car than an actual package #5 when I go to sell it in
    a few years, however the lower overall cost to me should outweigh the decreased selling price
    of the car.
    Has anyone else attempted this retrofit?

http://www.blackbirdnav.com/