1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Retrofit microphone install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by netgo, May 18, 2010.

1. netgo

netgo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Picture says everything.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    well, not really. I wouldn't mind knowing what you did. :)

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agree with ^
    Can you do a brief write up on removing that thing - I'm guessing you ran the wire up the A pillar?

TIA!

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I ran my mic up the A pillar and along the headliner. The front-facing portion of the overhead console is held with two snaps. You pull straight down to unsnap it. Be careful not to lose two thin felt washers on the snaps, which probably reduce squeaks. I got that far and stopped. My gps antenna is up inside there, magnetically attached to the metal roof. The mic is clippied to the cover I removed. It's visible, but the location is fantastic for sound quality. I've been mulling over this hidden installation for a while now.

It looks like you cut a piece of stiff foam to hold the mic. It also looks like you ran the mic cable through the hole in the circuit board, which I can't do because it's already installed. I also wonder whether this approach will affect the noise-cancellation of the mic, which gets sound from the edge of the mic -- although I've never got a straight story on whether these Bluetooth mics include noise cancellation.

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it's safe to say the mics we all use are not noise canceling. This would require an ARM 7/9 processor, and associated logic. The Piioneer (and other) HU has noise canceling - that is done after the mic.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can make a noise canceling mic by just wiring two pickups out of phase. The Bluetooth mics that come with these radios have openings on the sides, perhaps to pick up the noise. You can buy very cheap noise-canceling mics. But, I admit, I do not know if these mics have noise cancellation or not.

Here is a picture of my friend Jerry, who had a really big PA system back in the 1970's. Look closely at the microphones. The speakers were all behind the band, so he wired a pair of microphones out of phase and sang into the top one. There was more to it than just wiring the two mics out of phase, but there was no ARM CPU back then, it was all analog.

Attached Files:

7. netgo

netgo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you download canadian backup camera installation manual, wiring is about same. HU-A pillar.

The microphone comes with AVIC-Z110bt does not have noise cancelation builtin. It is software based and doing very poor job.

A lot of guys having wind sound noise with their microphone at avic411 so they are applying electrical tape to the side.

In my case, I made a little hole at the side of plasitc it connect to microphone to help sound propagation.

I am thinking of upgrading microphone to better one.