1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Returning Soldiers Ignored.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Jun 17, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews
    By Dana Priest and Anne Hull

Army Spec. Jeans Cruz helped capture Saddam Hussein. When he came home to the Bronx, important people called him a war hero and promised to help him start a new life. The mayor of New York, officials of his parents' home town in Puerto Rico, the borough president and other local dignitaries honored him with plaques and silk parade sashes. They handed him their business cards and urged him to phone.

At a low point, he went to the local Department of Veterans Affairs medical center for help. One VA psychologist diagnosed Cruz with post-traumatic stress disorder. His condition was labeled "severe and chronic." In a letter supporting his request for PTSD-related disability pay, the psychologist wrote that Cruz was "in need of major help" and that he had provided "more than enough evidence" to back up his PTSD claim. His combat experiences, the letter said, "have been well documented."

None of that seemed to matter when his case reached VA disability evaluators. They turned him down flat, ruling that he deserved no compensation because his psychological problems existed before he joined the Army. They also said that Cruz had not proved he was ever in combat.

"My experience so far is, you ask for something and they deny, deny, deny. After a while you just give up."

MJhere: Like everything else to do with republican control, nothing works, unless you are the CEO of a war-profiteering company. I firmly believe it is the war-profiteers who are persuading lame junior to 'stay the course'. They'll never have such opportunity again in the foreseeable future. What's a few (3500+) deaths of young soldiers compared to the once in a lifetime opportunity for old-man personal enrichment?

Here is a soldier who personally helped capture some despot thereby boosting junior's reason d-etre, but is still snubbed. The VA states the soldier was not in combat so deserves no treatment. (ignoring his combat-related documentation) OR if that excuse isn't enough they then go to state he had 'pre-existing' mental problems. GREAT! so they are emptying out the looney bins now and arming the nut cases and sending them off as cannon fodder. NIIICE. Either way, this guy is getting the short end of the stick. Now they are running the VA like civilian health insurance companies...deny, deny, deny coverage AFTER you pay your dues (money or, in this case, service).

Those in the know realize the Soviet Union fell not because of Regan outspending them, but from internal decay. Just like the road the US is following. Judging by junior, Cheney et al. arrogance knows no bounds and has no shame/social conscience. Sound familiar, you proud republicans???

2. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is sad. Too bad his congressman hasn't stepped in to help.

I can"t even begin to tell you about the black hole, my brother, who was a sub-mariner has fallen into.

One of our members of the BLET at NJ Transit has initiated a program to reach out to returning vets and give them information about job opportunities. He was a vet himself and remembers being hustled through the checkout, just another number. It is one small step, but if it helps just one person, it is worth the effort. May we all make one small effort to make a difference to someone.

Today at work, an elderly lady was having trouble with the pay phones. she was trying to call her daughter to pick her up and for some reason, the phones weren't working. The person I was working with just shrugged, even though he had a cell phone in his pocket. I called her daughter with my phone..... it goes back to the golden rule- do unto others....

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is nothing new, and the Democrats are just as guilty as the Republicans. I was doing volunteer work at a homeless shelter at the same time as we were demonstrating against the first Gulf war. The conservatives would drive by shouting "support the troops," but a quarter to a third of the homeless men at the shelter were veterans of the previous war, and those same conservatives wouldn't give these men the price of a cup of coffee. We never got a single pro-war person volunteering at the shelter. Conservatives, both Republican and Democrat, will shout "support the troops," but once those troops have served their country and been discharged, those same conservatives will let them freeze in the gutter before they'll give them the time of day.

If anyone reading this is thinking of enlisting: keep that in mind: Once they've chewed you up and spat you out, they'll turn their backs on you.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well in America saying, "I support the troops" is prettty much all the support(from left and right) one can expect from the public at large. You'll get an occasional yellow ribbon sticker too.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This past Xmas, instead of our extended family exchanging gifts, we each donated a few hundred $$ and/or hand-made and store-bought gifts (one of my cousins hand-knit some slipper-socks for soldiers, since she heard that soldiers at Walter Reed complain about walking on cold floors) to support organizations for active and returning soldiers, like "Wounded Warriors" and similar. What I learned about the treatment of returning and especially injured returning soldiers was truly appalling. It's despicable how this country fails to support those who voluntarily put their lives on the line in service of their country.

Makes me want to kick anyone in the nuts who has an "I Support the Troops" bumper sticker on their car, unless they can show me proof their support extends beyond the $2 to buy the bumper sticker.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like the people who tend to "support" the war talk brashly and fly their flags incessantly.

But when it comes to actually compromising one's lifestyle or making any other meaningful and substantive choices (still haven't heard from BigMahma on how the move to Iraq is going)...well, that goes against one's *individual rights*...and anything which does that is un-American!!

It does seem that, during wartime, it would only be natural to increase funding to the VA and other programs which support our troops upon their return.

----

Yes, perhaps the Democrats were no better. But this is a wartime administration (by its own proclamation) and it seems to me that we should expect a bit more under those circumstances.

7. ozyran

ozyran New Member

I think a lot of this has to do with the money available. It's just not there these days. I think when we finally do get out of Iraq we'll be able to treat these people, but until then, there will be a lot more suffering because there's no money to take care of the people who need it.

I hate to see things like this, because it really does hearken to the treatment of the veterans that returned from Vietnam. I really hope that there's a contingency plan in effect to ensure that the veterans returning from Iraq are taken care of.

I've got to ask, has anyone written a letter to their Congressman or Senator to address the issue at hand? Maybe not for one individual, but for the many who have been denied coverage by the VA?

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 18 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]464296[/snapback]</div>
    No, I haven't written, now that you mention it.

I think you're right about the money, too.

This is *not* intended to be a confrontational query I'm about to pose...but I'm wondering/speculating/thinking out loud: [gulp] is the sacrifice that our returning servicepeople seem to be making in this regard, part of the war effort? Has this been a 'silent sacrifice' (for lack of a better phrase) on the part of our military personnel throughout history?

I honestly don't know; these are 'me scratching my head' questions.

My civilian take on it is that: no, this shouldn't be part of the price paid for defending our freedom.

Then again, if there are only X Dollars available for our military, are the resources better placed on the battlefield...or in the hospital?

I've never really thought about it in this way.

It's actually more than a bit troubling and, honestly, I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision myself.

9. TurkeyButt

TurkeyButt New Member

I think a lot depends if you are still AD or out of the military. If you are still in there is free medical care at your duty station. If you are out in the civilian world back in your home town there may or may not be resources available in the area.
    One problem is that many SM do not realize that they have issues until after they are out trying to adjust back into a normal life. It is a lot harder paperwork wise to get them the help they need AFTER they are out. If it was taken care of before they get out whether it is a medical discharge or their contract is up it is more than likely they are getting the help they need.
    That is just what I have seen.

10. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 18 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]464357[/snapback]</div>
    I must say that is well spoken; I honestly don't have a solution at this point. Mark my words, though; I'm gonna pull out MS Word and bang away at the keyboard and ask my Senators about this one.

I expect to have it in the mail by tomorrow. We'll see what happens from there.

And as far as resources are concerned, I believe beyond all reasonable doubt that NYC has plenty of facilities available for the care of our veterans.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jun 17 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]463649[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe not ... but take comfort knowing that his congressman gets a life time full pay pension, which is transferable for the life of their spouse, after the congressman passes away ... just for serving one term. Funny how they manage to always agree when it comes time for their OWN raises / pensions / med benefits :rolleyes:

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

This morning, the house and senate both passed the same bill to fully fund the VA and give all the VETS everything they need and want... Blank check.

Mean, bad old George Dubya veto'd it saying "These guys are worthless to me if they are home, we only need money for the ones on the warfront".

So, that pretty much explains how come this is all screwed up.

Or

where the hell is the democratic funding of this stuff?

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jun 17 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]463466[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmm, as I remember the saying theres two sides to every story.. ;)