1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reuters: Spare tires ditched as automakers seek efficiency

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Nov 9, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Spare tires ditched as automakers seek efficiency | Reuters

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Years ago, you had a real spare tire. Get a flat, change it, and you're on the go again. Then they went to under-sized "doughnut" spare tires that are not rated for highway speed. I got a flat once out in the country and had to drive 60 miles at slow speed as the traffic backed up behind me, and I had to pull over at every opportunity to let the other cars pass. That is SHIT!!! Now, instead of a spare tire, they give you a can of Fix-a-flat, which ruins the tire if you use it so you then have to buy a new tire, and if your tires are half worn, but still have plenty of miles, you have to buy a full new set or drive with mis-matched tires. And if it's a serious blow-out (rather than a very small leak) the Fix-a-flat won't even work, and you're stranded.

Granted, tires blow out less often than they used to, but I'd still happily accept the very slightly lowered efficiency in order to have a real spare tire.

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This should not be happening.

4. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The black market for donuts begins....

5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a policy of carrying a set of plugs, tools and a pump in all our cars. In many cases it is easier to plug it then take it off. In all the time driving we had one case when tire was not repairable, and a couple it had to be taken off to get fixed. Fix-a-flat + TPMS is not good idea, IMHO

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Some manufacturers are installing "Run Flat" tires to avoid supplying a spare.

Warning
    : these tires have extra material in the sidewalls to provide support when the PSI drops. This adds significant rolling resistance and will cause a loss in energy efficiency (lower MPG).

JeffD

ps: on mother's day this year I had a tire failure in New Jersey (pothole) so i pu on the donut. It lasted a quater mile when another pothole bent the donut wheel rim. I am modifying the spare tire well in my 2004 Prius to accept a full size spare after that experience. Did you ever try to get help with a car on mother's day Sunday afternoon?

1 person likes this.
  7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm currently averaging a flat tire every 6-7 years, they really don't happen often. It's nice to have one, but they do take up some room--I think that's more important than weight. They don't weigh much, certainly less than the average American's additional body fat.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about mounting a smaller outside diameter conventional tire to a 15" wheel? A 185/55 or 195/50 would probably fit. Can't be any worse than the donut.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you ever priced a replacement Run Flat tire? They are horribly expensive. At least the one that went on a friend's Honda Oddysey van.

I would be very skeptical of driving a car on a trip without a jack and spare tire.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It also makes a difference where you drive. In an area with good cell phone service and 24 hr road service, not having a spare is an inconvenience. In other areas it can be life threatening.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hail storm went through our neighborhood last year; ~80% of roofs got replaced. Had 3 flats while this was going on

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gotta love roofing nails. With those flat heads, they are just made to stick in tires and feet.

Tom

13. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Must suck to replace all three tires during a hail storm. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. :p

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    We motorcyclist don't have a spare either. You'd need two anyways as the front/rear don't even remotely match. Carry a good repair kit and air compressor and know how to use them especially if one tours.

I have been incredibly lucky as I've never had to change a car tire on the side of the road in over 30 years of driving. I just found this in my Prius left rear tire this weekend and it looked quite nasty. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pulled it out to find it was too short to go all the way the through. whew......
    Yes, I realized I've now jinxed myself!!!:behindsofa:

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And with a motorcycle, if you have a catastrophic tire failure, replacing the tire is the least of your worries.

Tom

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yup, fronts can be real bear but rears can generally be ridden out.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Late model Corvettes don't have spare either. If they did they wouldn't have any luggage space.

The have runflats with a 100 mile range but I carry an electric pump and tire plug kit just in case. Running a long distance on a runflat means it probably will need to be replaced and if I'm on a trip through East Snowshoe Montana, they aren't going to have the equipment to repair my tires anyway.

I carried a pump and plug kit on motorcycle for years and never had to use it. I think they also prevent flats.:D

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a frequent visitor to places with no cell service, and light enough traffic that help could be more than a day's walk away, I'm always prepared to hike out to a road with actual traffic. So a flat should not be life threatening, just a way to ruin the day, and maybe tomorrow too.

But it seems idiotic to not be equipped to fix the most common cause of vehicle disablement, especially when driving in areas where the risk of that particular event is much higher than normal.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They are trying to make a statement that if you set higher CAFE MPG, safety will get lower.

That doesn't have to be the case.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect, or would speculate that less spare tires and more "fix a flat" kits, are simply going to be the future whether we like it or not.

It's cheaper for the automaker, it allows the vehicle to be lighter, thus perhaps aiding in fuel economy. And in an age where everyone is carrying Cell Phones, and 90% of a flat situations can probably be resolved with either a phone call or a can of fix a flat? Then it's probably just going to happen.

It's really not all bad. It also potentially allows for more storage room, and I think in some individual cases it can actually be safer. For those that are not automotively and mechanically inclined trying to change a flat tire, especially on a busy highway or roadside can be a dangerous situation. And if done inproperly can create a further dangerous situation.

I've also known some people that have pushed the envelope of running on a donut tire way too far. Not everyone just use's it to get to safety and/or to the Tire Shop. I've had friends that have gone "weeks" on their donut as they saved up to get a real replacement.

I think it's inevitable. Primarily because I think it is cheaper for the automaker.

In many ways I think the general public is getting less skilled. I'm not sure a lot of people can safely change a tire anymore. However? Almost everyone can use their smart phone to call roadside assistance. Assuming the fix-a flat doesn't work.