1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Revenge of the Buyer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ThunderJon, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

OK. As of right now this is just a theory, but I was hoping to strike up a discussion on how we can "level" the playing field, being essentially 'gouged' for a Prius. Read the following and comment, has anyone done this, will they try?

You: I'm here to pay for and pick up my 2006 Prius.

Dealer: <WARRANTY_SPIEL>

You: (firm) No. And I really can't afford the $2000 warranty and now I have 2 cars to insure (yada, yada).

Dealer: Are you trading in a vehicle?

You: Well, maybe my <YOUR OLDER CAR THAT WOULD BE HARD TO SELL> that I don't need anymore.

Dealer: Let's have a mechanic look it over real quick (wait)

Dealer: Ok we will give you $1500

You: Well I think its worth quite a bit more than that...

<some back and forth, hopefully you pry them up some>

You: What if I buy the warranty, can I get a bit more for my trade-in?

Dealer: Be right back, talk to manager.... Yea, we can give you an extra $700 on your trade-in.

You: Great, I'll sign!
    --------------------------------------------------

2 Weeks later.

You: I'm canceling the warranty. I have until 3yr.36k mi to get it anyway. Period. (Get your $2k back).

Bam!!! Dealer isn't screwed because they are selling so close to MSRP and made hella $$$ of sale, mats and especially your option package, so they should be ok. You got a bit of a better deal w/private sale hassle.

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I guess you're not too concerned with the ethics of this. <_<

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you want the best deal possible, don't combine any part of the transactions. The dealer will almost always win when you muddle everything together.

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You: What if I buy the warranty, can I get a bit more for my trade-in?

Since you didn't buy the warranty, the dealer might deduct that amount from the refund. They also might write up receipt showing you paid $1300. for the warranty for just that reason.

Try it and let us know.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Would the dealer extend the same ethcial behavior?

6. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It probably is unethical if that's what you're thinking going in; however it's not really more unethical than the dealer giving you more for your trade-in if you buy the over priced extended warrenty.

With the asymetric information between you and the dealer, the dealer should know to protect himself, so I doubt you could get away with it.

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Are you saying we should base our own ethics on the presumed lack of scruples of others?
    Caveat emptor is one thing.
    Planning to screw a dealer by agreeing to a price/profit and then unilaterally changing the deal because you can get away with it is just plain low.

8. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

To be clear, I am not going to try this. I like my dealer and am already getting pkg 7/8 for $700 below MSRP. Doc fees are $45.

For those that have a dealer puttin the screws to them though it is an interesting proposition. Just not my thing B)

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Glad to hear it.

Tell us how you arranged for MSRP-$700.

10. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

Sunnyvale, CA standard discount is $350 on high packages, they double it for Google employees.