1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse beep can't be changed (North American vs. Japanese)...according to dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sprius*, Feb 20, 2010.

1. sprius*

sprius* Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I went in to have the recall done on my 2010 Prius recently, I asked the service department to disable the reverse beep, but they said "mine" could not be changed because it was manufactured in Japan and not North America. If it was manufactured in North America, they could have changed it. Is this really true?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No.

Many of us have changed ours already. No Prius has yet been built in North America.

1 person likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, that's absurd, what dealership told you that?

1 person likes this.
  4. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No they are lying or ignorant, one of the two.

1 person likes this.
  5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A bunch of liars! No NA built Prius's. Revese beep can be changed by dealer from continuous beeping to single beep. Should be no charge for this, but watch out, especially if they've never heard of it.

1 person likes this.
  6. wavydavy

wavydavy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I have disabled my R beeper, I love backing up w/o flinching to look out for the dump truck or bucket loader.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your dealer is full of sh!t. Please name them. Did you show that moron the owner's manual? Try calling the Sales Manager or the dealer's corporate office to politely complain. They should be able to straighten this out. If not, try complaining to Toyota. Hope you didn't submit your customer satisfaction survey.

1 person likes this.
  8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought I've heard every excuse in the book, but your dealer just taught me a new one!

1 person likes this.
  9. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

They are BS-ing you, just had my recall done and my dealer changed my reverse beep to only one beep with no problem.

Go to another dealer.

1 person likes this.
  10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope you wore boots, because the $hit is pretty thick there.

1 person likes this.
  11. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

They said that to me too, until I showed the owners manual and told them how (learned it here). I am so pleased with this site so I knew this information when it was important. :)

12. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was told the same thing about programming SKS driver's handle to open all doors. Magically, when I opened the owner's manual and showed him -- as well as mentioned PriusChat results -- he was able to reprogram them in 4 minutes. Off-topic a bit, but I was also told that the source of rattles in the car is due to the "extreme quietness of the Prius makes the rattles all cars have noticeable". I asked him if we could test-drive an Avalon (since it's a very quiet car) and count the rattles. On that note, he agreed to try the rear seat TSB and add panel foam. Amazingly, all of my rattles are now gone. Hold the dealer's feet to the fire or find another one. I have yet to find a good dealer in Northern Virginia, but will keep trying.

Bottom line: Toyota's commitment to quality has not made it (back?) to the dealers yet, and the dealers will apparently do anything possible to avoid a warranty claim with Toyota. I've never had this problem with my Nissan, Honda or Ford, and didn't use to have this problem while stationed in Japan (different dealership-manufacturer relationship as I recall). Sorry for the bit of a rant, but I've gotten tired of being lied to and hearing about others being lied to.

13. sprius*

sprius* Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I thought that guy was telling me a load of crap. I will definitely be calling him.