1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse Engineering Article in Wired Magazine

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SirSpidey, Jan 25, 2006.

1. SirSpidey

SirSpidey New Member

The February 2006 Issue of Wired Magazine includes an article about how engineers at GM's "Vehicle Assessment and Benchmarking Activity" (VABA) center are reverse engineering the competitors' cars.

There's a section about the Prius, and how it convinced GM to go in another direction:

~Spidey
    ============

Excerpts from
    "Teardown Artists"
    by Carl Hoffman
    Wired Magazine
    February 2006
    Page 136

"A dissected hybrid lies on display in the back of the VABA, next to the remains of a Chevy Malibu. The Prius demystified comes down to this: It has 1,432 propulsion parts (the Malibu has 822). It has two electric motors, plus lots of software and finely machined gears to transport power to the wheels. That makes the Prius very expensive to design and build. And for all the publicity, Toyota is likely to sell a mere 105,000 Priuses this year in a US market of 16 million vehicles. 'Prius owners love it, but are the other 16 million-plus people beating down the doors of Toyota dealerships to buy a hybrid?' Lindsay Brooke asks. ' Not yet, and Toyota will have to figure out how to drive the hybrid vehicle segment into the meat of the North American market.'

"Clay Phillips, GM's director of intelligence, in charge of scoping out other automakers [says] 'We think the Prius was originally less about fuel economy and more about a technical and assemby experiment. In Japan, the hybrid drive was sold as a cool electronic feature. Fuel economy was hardly mentioned, and I have a hunch that fuel efficiency was a marketing stragety that they just stumbled onto.'

"Tearing apart the Prius convinced GM that Toyota was using the car as a 'tip of the spear' to change its image from a maker of good, utilitarian cars to a high tech company, Phililps says. 'And that's how Toyota will market it vehicles in the future.'

"GM's Strategy: Leapfrog hybrids -- go directly from gasoline to fuel cells.

But GM's critics aren'ts so sure, calling the company's fuel cell talk 'defensive PR' because it's so far behind Toyota on hybrids. Auto industry consultant Maryann Keller points out that fuel cells are every bit as complicated as hybrids, if not more. 'You're taling about a completely different propulsion system!' she says. 'No one can even repair or drive one!' She argues that, instead, GM needs to follow intermediate steps. 'What technology doesn't become cheaper and easier to build over time?'

"Whether GM has made an inspired bet or will fall hopelessly behind Toyota depends, in part, on whether the price of oil stays relatively low over the next few years."

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

In 2005, Toyota sold 107,897 Prii in the US.

Let's compare that figure to the ENTIRE US SALES of other well-known brands:

Audi 83,066
    Infiniti 136,401
    Isuzu 12,177
    Jaguar 30,424
    Mini 40,820
    Mitsubishi 123,995
    Porsche 31,933
    Saab 38,343
    Subaru 196,002
    Suzuki 82,101
    Volvo 123,874

Point? If it is futile for Toyota to produce the Prius because the numbers are so low, then all these other brands had better drop out of the US market pronto.

Source:
    http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...0112_680347.htm

- Bob R.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    BobR, well said.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yes very good point :).... 100.000 units for a single car model is not bad... and they still have people waiting for it and selling it as MSRP!

6. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

Yeah, like Toyota is sitting idle with their fuel cell car development. That's exactly the mentality that will drive them out of the number 1 spot.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Fuel economy was hardly mentioned, and I have a hunch that fuel efficiency was a marketing stragety that they just stumbled onto"

Obviously he didn't read The Prius That Shook The World. And btw, this article is old news. I have no idea why they're republishing it again.

And isn't it the typical American thinking? Take shortcuts? Go directly to GO!, Get $200 and move on?

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Not really. Comparing Porsche selling 36,000 cars to ANY Toyota car is simply misleading.

Porsche doesn't make enough cars to sell that many. Also, when you consider that most of their cars are over $60,000, and go up to $440,000, the comparison falls apart. Nearly the same with Jaguar. They've only recently expanded into lower priced cars.

Another bad example is the Mini. It's an extreme niche market, and was never expected to sell many examples.

Some of hte examples, though are quite telling. Isuzu... Just give up already.

9. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

DocVijay -

I had similar thoughts about Porsche, et al, but I basically included anyone on the list under 200,000 units and didn't attach value judgements.

- Bob R.

10. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

GM are idiots. Toyota is getting real, live, production experience with the electric motors, control systems, and other components that will be the mainstay of fuel-cell cars in the future. By the time the first FC car rolls off the line, Toyota will have extensive experience in building, delivering, maintaining, and supporting electric drive systems. Toyota will reap the benefits, and as a believer in the free market I can't complain about that. But as an American I'm sad to see an icon like GM exhibit such poor judgement.

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this a fair comparison between Prius and Malibu?
    Prius is a full-hybrid with 50kW motor and Malibu is a mild-hybrid with only 3kW motor.

I believe Prius should be compared with GM's two-mode hybrid system.
    Prius uses two MG's, one planetary gear set and no clutch.
    The two-mode system uses two MG's, two planetary gear sets and three clutches.
    It is very clear which system is more simple.

Ken@Japan

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As you know Toyota's fuel cell system is called FCHV (Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle) and it is based on the hybrid technology. The FCHV is still dual power, fuel cell and battery.
    Or, doesn't GM's system use battery at all?

Ken@Japan

13. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    These people running GM, Ford, etc. need to stop pretending to be automotive experts -- they are running once successful automobile companies into the ground and kill a US industry.

14. judibob

judibob New Member

Didn't even read through the whole thread. Working in automotive, for a tier-1 supplier, I have dealt with GM as a customer for a long time. Heck, I went to GMI for my undergrad engrg. degree. But, man, does everyone out there see these comments? Wow.
    What is it with this company? I should say, with this company's mgmt?
    Man oh man!
    Use any metphor you'd like -- head in the sand, whatever.
    A 2x4 hit on the head isn't enough I guess.
    Geez, this is very depressing to see a company with so many resources to throw out technology in the light of upcoming $3/gal gasoline prices (again) in favor of Hummers.

But, if you think about it longer, you can understand --- they have no choice.
    GM can't build a Prius and make any money, let alone stay in business. But, many (including me) think Toyota loses $$ on every Prius they sell. It's a strategic decision - it's called foresight.
    We dissected a Prius when the '04's came out. Very impressive. The quote is correct - 'beautifully cut gears, great little motors, parts, etc. Look at GM's stuff -- it's ugly. Ok, that 427 alum small block in the Corvette is nice, although it's not what this planet needs now.
    GM needs to sell fully deluxe, $40k vehicles to have a chance to make any profit. So, they spin whatever they can to try to survive.
    I feel sorry for them, really. There are good car guys & gals in that company. Too bad they're not in charge.
    Love my Prius, although only 50mi on it, and saving it until the salt is off the roads. I did take it for a spin yesterday, disabled beepers, learned about things, etc. Very efficient car, and very impressive technology.
    GM could do this, and even more. So could Toyota. Difference is that GM has their head in the sand trying to survive selling Hummers and Hi-Po Cadillacs, while Toyota is designing the next-gen Prius or other next-gen technology.
    Get a clue, GM.

15. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

Ken,

Great point. Since Fuel Cell technology will probably be quite expensive at first, the most reasonable thing to do would be to mate it with a more "mature" hybrid system to increase overall efficency, shrink the fuel stack etc. Toyota, Honda, and Ford are getting real world experience with systems that will most likely be used with fuel cell vehicles giving them a head start.

Maybe, just maybe GM should rethink their plan.

One more thing, quite possibly GM should just stick with the mild hybrids. Think about it. In the context of modern day technology, there is no good reason to EVER have an automobile idle. If GM was smart, they would put a low cost mild hybrid system on every damned car they made. Even if all it did was just stop the car form idleing and restart the engine, that would dramatically increase city MPG estimates. Then GM could take the crown for fleet MPG.

Just a thought,
    Cosmo

16. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I am fully of the opinion that GM is not seriously intending to build a fuel-cell car. Fuel cells are ridiculously complicated, expensive, and impractical, especially considering the hydrogen network needed to sustain them. GM is only claiming to focus on this to make it appear like they're a high-tech company with the future in mind.

If they're doing such wonders with fuel cells, why is Honda the only company to create a consumer FCV? And Ford created a working prototype Focus FCV, though not safety-tested like Honda's. But no word from GM.

17. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I think that Toyota already has that figured out... 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid... 40 MPG combined... THE most popular car in North America...

If GM still thinks that Toyota is still "in the process" of figuring out the hybrid market, they're mistaken... Toyota has a plan, and they are already executing on it.

Toyota's other hybrids, the Highlander and the RX400h have sold well... about 1/4 of all Highlanders and RX400hs sold were hybrid versions...

Imagine if they get the same kind of sales with the Camry, America's #1 car... i'd say hybrids would make it into the mainstream.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GM's FCVs aren't hybrids. Only Toyota (FCHV)and Ford (Focus FCV) are fuel cell hybrids. Ford is also working on a hydrogen ICE (probably similar to a mild hybrid in relative cost to a full FCV). GM ones are just fuel cells... that's about it.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In other words: "We have no clue, but we *do* have a generous Corporate Golden Parachute package."

20. dipper

dipper Senior Member

These comments from GM Marketing is nothing more than putting down Full Hybrid technology (to make themselves look good). You think they should come out and say... WOW... the Toyota hybrid is so good that we GM Engineers don't know what the heck we are thinking.

These efforts are nothing more than trying to make their mild hybrid to "seem" more efficient and "simpiler".

Look at Microsoft. They spent millions doing "studies" on Linux/Mircosoft OS. All results said Microsoft OS are better in every way. That is funny when most IT people are moving to Linux from Microsoft. :lol:

And this is no difference than what GM is doing.