1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse Learning Curve on max mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Linny, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Linny

Linny New Member

Help? This is probably addressed here somewhere or maybe I'm the first to manage this feat. I picked up my Prius last Sunday. Drove it around Philly for 2 days, then home to CT 200+ miles on the highway. I was mindful about my consumption but not crazy and not aware of all the best practices for max mpg. Anyway...I was thrilled to average 51.7mpg. Ever since it's been slowly dropping. The last two days back and forth to work (mix of highway/backroads/city) I'm down to 41.9. I'd like to blame it on relaxing into the car and being lax but I don't think I've done anything differently. I filled up at a Citgo station. Put in regular gas because the dealer said to use only regular. Could it be a fuel thing? I got the car with 500 miles on it and I'm at 1100 if that helps. The first 500 were getting the car from MD to Pittsburgh to Philly. I met the guy who transported it. He does all the driving for the dealership. Seemed pretty responsible and conservative to me. I'd sure appreciate any thoughts or advice! Thanks!

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    longer trips= better mpg.

your shorter trips to work (i hope you don't live 200 mi away from work! :lol:) are taking a bit out of that high mpg. engine warmup and such. don't worry, it'll get better as you get into the prius-driving groove :)

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Your mileage will fluctuate with driving conditions, temperature, length of commute, etc. While zen drivers like DaveinOlyWA get phenominal mpg, if you just drive sensibly (as you would drive any car sensibly: avoid jackrabbit starts and hard braking except when needed) you will get significantly better mileage than you would in a conventional car. Some folks are lucky to have ideal driving conditions; others have to put up with lousy driving conditions.

I think it's a mistake to get hung up on the numbers game.

I got 29 mpg on my first few tanks: Fargo ND in January: 30 degrees below zero; a ten minute commute; and the cabin was (literally!) colder than a deep-freeze unless I pre-heated it for 5 minutes. But I was still burning half the gas my previous car burned under the same conditions!

Enjoy the car.

*Note: a deep-freezer is zero Fahrenheit. Fargo in January can be 30 degrees colder than that!

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 4 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]235021[/snapback]</div>
    OK the Zen drivers is absolutely true. If you let up even for a second your mpg will tank to the 40's. Heaven forbid!! Driving conditions do really vary, I have tried 4 different ways to go to work before I found one that put me into the hyper-milers group. It is a game... only a game! If you want to play go for it. I find it fun but it is a diversion for me going to work and coming home. Centers my Chi! Really it lets me relax. I have to say that this evening I was really wound up, bad day, no let up, bummer. I could not get in the groove and I lost 1 mpg. But half way home I let it go and it was good. It is a game, play it or not. Find your own game, find your groove! Then be happy... because in the end the love you give is equal to the love you get! God bless John Lennon and Paul (who is 64!!)

6. Linny

Linny New Member

Thank you all! As usual...great information. I'll get the zen eventually...right now I'm just in love with my car!

The machine of a dream
    Such a clean machine
    With the pistons a pumpin’
    And the hub caps all gleam

When I’m holdin’ your wheel
    All I hear is your gear...

Queen