1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse on uphill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nblumenfield, Apr 29, 2007.

1. nblumenfield

nblumenfield New Member

I have had my '07 Prius for a week now. The biggest challenge is backing out of my driveway, which is on a pretty steep hill. I understand that you are on battery only in reverse, and it doesn't seem to have the power to back up the driveway. I find that if I put it in Park and rev the gas some, it gives the battery just enough power to back up, but I worry about my wife attempting this. I also worry that if the car is parked a few days, there may be no way to get it up the drive in reverse. Other than the obvious option of backing into the driveway, is there another trick to getting up the power in reverse?
    nrb

2. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nrb @ Apr 29 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]432003[/snapback]</div>
    I in no way mean to be smart, and also want to read a real answer to your question, but how about parking downhill with the car facing the opposite way?

3. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Apr 28 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]432027[/snapback]</div>
    I am being smart: How about moving south of the equator so that you are pointing the other way....

:p

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think the Prius should have any issues with not having enough power. As long as you're not totally bottomed out on the SOC, there should be plenty of juice to back up the driveway.

5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nrb @ Apr 29 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]432003[/snapback]</div>
    How about reverse in a zigzag manner (just like tacking in a boat)? This has the effect of lowering the 'angle of attack' of the drive wheels. Turn from lock to lock as you reverse, using the brakes when necessary to stop you from ever rolling forward. The front of the car will swing from side to side, but after each "tack", you'll notice that you're slowly edging your way up the incline.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nrb @ Apr 28 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]432003[/snapback]</div>
    Reverse is electric only. However, if the battery does not have sufficient charge to drive the distance in reverse, the gasoline engine will turn on and generate the needed electricity (there are two motor/generators). Just press the accelerator as much as necessary to get going when you back up and the car will do its thing.

7. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When backing up our 2007 the ICE comes on most times.

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nrb @ Apr 28 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]432003[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't you let your wife try it? She probably won't be thinking about what is powering the car and she will just back up the hill with no problem.

9. nblumenfield

nblumenfield New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Apr 29 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]432132[/snapback]</div>
    On mine, the ICE does not seem to come on. I'm checking. (Best suggestion above was to have my wife give it a shot, except, after sitting next to me and watch the car slowly descend toward the garage door, she is a little gun-shy.) :blink:

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nrb @ Apr 29 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]432291[/snapback]</div>
    I have not experienced this problem, but if you think the problem is a low charge, then when you return from a trip, before shutiing down, put on Emergency brake, put car in drive, step on foot brake just for self assurance and then....step on the accelerator! HV Battery will charge in a minute or less into the green zone. This is all selfregulating and wii not hurt a thing. In the morning you should still have a good charge. AndyPrius

11. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The problem is real. I stalled in the middle of a steep hill while climbing back in reverse, so I learned from experience. The trick is to floor the gas pedal, not just hold it part way; part way won't work on a steep hill, you have to floor it.

If the hill is long, the ICE will come on to supply power to the electric motor because the battery will drain quickly.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Apr 30 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]432591[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure the ICE will turn on? As I understand it, it's directly geared to the PSD; when you're going in reverse the ICE spins in reverse and thus can NOT run until the car is stopped or moving forward.

13. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 30 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]432724[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the ICE will run, but only to generate electricity which is then fed to the electric drive motor. It won't drive the wheels directly, but it can certainly supplement the power available.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This sounds like a traction control problem, not a power issue. The electric motor on the Prius provides about 70 hp with full torque at zero RPMS; it could burn the rubber off your wheels without even breaking into a sweat.

Tom

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 30 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]432741[/snapback]</div>
    Can you explain to me how the ICE can run while the car is going backwards, even to generate electricity?

If the car goes backwards, the ICE spins backwards, right?

Soooo...

That would mean that, unless the ICE can also *RUN* backwards, it can NOT be charging the batteries as you suggest.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 30 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]432778[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: [short pause while I decide if you are pulling my leg...okay, I'll bite] The ICE spins the gear carrier with the planet gears. It can spin at any time, regardless of whether the ring gear attached to MG2 and the drive train is spinning forward, in reverse, or standing still, as long as the sun gear attached to MG1 is free to rotate. If MG1 is allowed to free wheel, the Prius is essentially in neutral. Backing up is done by applying a reverse drive to MG2. All of the backup torque is supplied by MG2. If the ICE is spinning, then the little planet gears will spin even faster than normal, since the ring gear is turning backward. The planet gears spin the sun gear which is attached to MG1. If a field is applied to MG1, then MG1 acts as a generator, making electricity to charge the battery and/or drive MG2. The ICE is clearly still turning in the normal direction.

Tom

psymon100 likes this.
  17. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 30 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]432776[/snapback]</div>
    It is not a traction control problem. The electric motor has enough torque to climb up a steep hill in reverse, but you have floor the accelerator to use use it; pressing the accelerator slightly or half way won't work, if the hill is steep enough the car will stall.

Don't be afraid to floor the accelerator, the car won't shoot back out of control as may happen with a regular car. The Prius will back up the hill at a constant slow speed, and when the battery charge drops low the ICE will come on to supply the charge needed.

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 30 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]432813[/snapback]</div>
    No joke; obviously I still have trouble visualizing how things really work down there. Thank you!

19. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 30 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]432832[/snapback]</div>
    Hope this will help.
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/hs...l?noreloadredir

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that if the engine is producing torque, 72% of that is
    going to try and drive the wheels FORWARD. Therefore MG2 has to
    fight not only that but also the hill. To do that, MG2 needs to
    receive power -- from the battery and/or MG1. But the harder you
    load down MG1, the harder the engine cranks against both it and
    the wheels! It seems like a total paradox, but the levels can be
    controlled in a way that eventually yields net axle torque backwards.
    There were, however, rumors of people not being able to get out of
    parking spots on Lombard St...
    _H*