1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reverse signal wire

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Fussion101, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if there's a reverse signal somewhere in the dash as well as a 12v accessory wire. Location and color would be great...

I'm trying to install a gentex rear view mirror backup camera. The harness is up front so I would rather get a signal here than route the wire all the way back to the reverse lights.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I asked when I put in my reverse cam but I got no response. Ended up running a line from the back. Can't imagine why there wouldn't be on in the dash somewhere.

3. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry I can't help with the reverse wire, but you should be able to get 12V accessory power from either a wire on the radio harness, or from one of the 12V power plugs (either under the bridge, or in the center console). The center console is very easy to remove and access. Remove the "carpet" in the bottom, and remove the bolts, and you also have to pry out the plastic trim piece in the front to remove another bolt that attaches it to the back of the bridge. It then pulls straight back to remove.

4. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the help guys. Does the 2010 prius have a wedge mount or camlock mount?

WEDGE MOUNT vs

6. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a release tab and it just snaps off.

7. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here is a reverse signal cabling
    [​IMG]

8. summit123

summit123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my other car I didn't want to do too much wiring work so I just added a generic switch which I mounted to the center console. I tapped into the 12v light outlet so I could manually switch on the back up camera/monitor. It was a fairly straightforward mod without having to dig around for the right wire.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any wire you hope to find in a prius.... you'll have to dig. you might as well go for the right one. panels are easy enough to pop off in this car. given enough time you can take the entire interior apart and put it back together (3 hours or so)...

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can find the location of reverse signal wire at My Ottonavi experience... | PriusChat link. Dylan made a good compilation from his Ottonavi install. I tapped the mentioned thick red wire during my install 1.5 year ago.
    If you have a wiring diagram - try lo locate L50 white 20 pins connector connected to Radio assembly (non-nav). SPD signal wire should have a violet color at pin 3. The SPD signal generates 4 pulses per wheel revolution. Unfortunatelly, I don't have a personal experience with SPD signal.
    Are you looking for navigation in the tunnel, covered areas?

[​IMG]

12. richfife

richfife New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Bump! Arise 6.5 year old thread.

All of the photos associated with this seem to be gone. Does any have access to photographs of where to attach a wire around the dash that goes 12v when the car is in reverse.

GTprii likes this.
  13. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This isn't what you asked for but maybe it will help. The connections that cut off on the bottom are grounds.
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 8.46.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 8.37.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 8.48.55 PM.png

14. youdiejoe

youdiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doing an install on my "new to me" 2010 Prius III, here is a clear diagram of the kick panel showing the location of the reverse wire (thanks to Crutchfield for sending it!)

Attached Files:

GTprii and Hammond_Egger like this.
  15. youdiejoe

youdiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To follow up, if any one is looking at this old thread like me...

I ended up not having to use the location in the kick panel, if you have a 2010 Prius (most likely 2010-2015) with JBL and Navigation, the reverse wire is available, much closer, on a 5 Pin connector in the factory harness, it's a pink wire on 5th pin. There are only 4 wires going into this connector.

Thanks again to the tech at Crutchfield for looking into this and finding the answer, they have added this info to their database for future users.

16. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    When i did mine I used the included cable for the reverse camera that had a power wire included. Power was gained by simply splicing into one of the reverse lights. Much simpler than running all the way to the front and also takes care of the switching.

Robert Holt likes this.
  17. Wes Fortier

Wes Fortier New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just installed a boss head unit and got the wrong harness for my stock camera so I had to find all the wires. Quick / simple answer is that the wire to make your stock camera come on when you go into reverse is in the 28 pin harness that goes unused with a new unit. It’s the pink wire right next to the black wire on the end of the harness. Tap into that pink wire and boom. Cam comes on when you go into reverse. This was on a 2012 Prius Two non JBL with nav

18. Wes Fortier

Wes Fortier New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also wanted to add that for my model there was no need for a 12v to 6v step down on the cam. Every forum I read said that the stock Prius cam was 6v but that wasn’t the case with mine. Find the wires and connect. Very simple with a multimeter.