1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse the risk of not having a spare tire.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Three60guy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was just looking tonight at a PBS Nova program titled "Making stuff stronger". The program talked about a a substance called Kevlar, the strongest synthetic material in the world. I theorized if this product could be used to make tires, we wouldn't need to be concerned with a lack of a spare tire in the Plug-in Prius.

I then searched Priuschat and found the following 1 reply thread:

Kevlar belt LRR tires ?? | PriusChat

When that thread was created there wasn't a Plug-in. But now there could be a very good reason to purchase tires made with Kevlar.

Has anyone else thought of this and has anyone made tires from Kevlar? And for that matter the size that a Plug-in could use?

I'm going to do some more research, but thought I would create this thread to get the subject going.

Cheers

2. I am most ecstatic that we have a serious researcher on board wanting to have answers to serious problems. NOT putting you on. Seriously. TY

3. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  4. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here is a review of Kevlar tires. Looks like there is no consensus yet. But leaning toward a negative sentiment.

TireRack.com Tire Reviews

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think modern car tires are typically steel belted radials which provide much of the same tread puncture protection as the kevlar bike tires. The unprotected area would be the sidewalls, and they need to flex quite a bit in normal operation. I found one brand mountain bike tire a few years back with kevlar in the sidewalls and it was very rigid. I used to use a kevlar liner as well, "snake skins", between the tube and the tire that worked well, but it focused on the tread area and not the sidewalls again. Now I ride on tubeless with a sealant.

It seems that statistics have killed the spare tire, along with the convenience of roadside assistance. For the folks that need a spare tire, you can always add one. I think discount tire sells an emergency spare tire on a universal rim but I have not checked if it will fit a PiP, or a Volt.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any updates?

8. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Kevlar is unnecessary because tires already use steel. Sure, it would reduce weight, but at huge expense.

I had a slow leak in the Jeep once. It turns out someone had shot the tread with a 9mm bullet, and it got lodged halfway into the tire.

Tires are already made very tough, and punctures are rare. When they happen, tire plugs are extremely easy and durable.

If money is no concern, then sure there are ways to avoid a flat. I could buy a helicopter to avoid flats, too.

9. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a "new" Prius spare tire from a junk yard (pardon .. an auto dismantler) and put it in the back for any out of town trips. I understand lots of folks have done the same.

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    oem tires on the prius don't have steel belts, the toyos anyway, had a flat with less than 100 miles, toyota really saves pennies, shocks, 12v batteries, tires,,,yuck

Redpoint5 likes this.
  11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, all the manufacturers employ the above. The trick is to find where the short cuts were taken on your brand and plan around it. IE: better tires, spare tire, shocks, brakes, etc. Also a BIG plus - get to know your vehicle, start with the basics - check fluids, tires. The owners manual is a good place to start. I have applied the above to all my vehicles and have minimized any "down time" on the road. Plus the more educated you are about your vehicle, you can be proud that you have the knowledge and some ability to correct any issues that come up.

DBCassidy

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your 12v should be much better than in the past.