1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse tilt and auto folding mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jchhay007, Apr 24, 2006.

1. jchhay007

jchhay007 New Member

Hi fellow Prius owners,

I have just transitioned from a 4Runner to a 2006 Prius. So far, my pocketbook and I have enjoyed the new car very much. With the savings from gas I am looking to dress up my Prius. I have found that the side mirrors on the Prius are much smaller than the ones on my 4Runner. Therefore, I'm looking to install a reverse tilt mirror which should help improve my view when backing up. I'm also interested in auto folding mirror when parking the vehicle. I know Sigma are selling reverse tilt mirror for less than $200 and auto folding mirrors are available as well on JDM. I have heard that the installation instructions are only available in Japanese. Has anyone taken the challenge to install any of these reverse tilting and/or auto folding mirrors?

Priuschat's administrator, Danny, had started this mirror post years ago and didn't seem to have the answers that I'm looking for. Please post your feedback and/or suggestions. Here's the old post.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2550

My mods so far.

Lights
    Shark fin antenna

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So far, only ChuckL has successfully installed the Auto-Tilt kit. The wiring has to be swapped for the right side. I have had my kit for over a year and am still waiting for ChuckL to come back online and enlighten me with the wiring...

Nate

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trojan95 @ Apr 24 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]244402[/snapback]</div>

I have the kit, I think. The one I have reverse tilts and adjusts the mirror for your turn signals, but does not fold them. I have NOT installed the kit. The instructions are in English, but it's a complicated install requiring disassembly of the door, the mirror, tapping into various wires, applying some magnets in specific positions (sensors) and who knows what else.

I took the instructions to the local car stereo installer I've used a lot for various projects and he has yet to get back to me on a price or even if he wants to tackle the job.

If you're comfortable taking off the door panels and disassembling the mirrors and have plenty of time for trial and error then go for it. as it stands I'm not sure if I'll have this installed on my car or not. May give the installer a shout this week to see what he says.

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

If anyone does the folding mirror mod, I'd love to get a write-up. We have this on our Volvo, and initially I thought it was the most useless feature of the car, but we use it every day. It's VERY handy for parking inthe garage and giving that extra bit of clearance. I'd love to have it on my Prius too.

5. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 24 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]244442[/snapback]</div>
    When I bought my Chevrolet truck I thought it was just a cool feature, but I seem to actually use it pretty often myself. It's one of the things I'll miss if I sell the Silverado for a Prius, but hopefully someone on here will figure it out.

6. jchhay007

jchhay007 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 24 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]244436[/snapback]</div>

ChuckL, If you see this post please share your installation expertise with us. We will surely appreciate your contributions. Thanks. James

7. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]244437[/snapback]</div>
    Care to scan and post the directions?

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd much rather have the folding mirrors than the reverse-tilt, I think. But both would be best. :)