1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse Tilt Mirror Module on 2010 - help please!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tasogare, Aug 18, 2009.

1. tasogare

tasogare New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went down to my local (read: Tokyo) dealership today and picked up a Reverse Tilt Mirror module (JDM) for the Gen III Prius. After reading the threads on the same mod for the Gen II Prius I thought people might be interested in figuring out the changes necessary to get this to work on an American model Gen III.

First off, it bears noting that the module only controls the passenger-side mirror (not both, unlike Gen II).

I'll try to get access to a scanner to scan the entire instruction manual (in Japanese) but in the meanwhile I'll post pics of the most important parts with translations (I speak Japanese so these are my "unofficial" translations).

Layout
    The harness runs from beneath the center console, up and under the glove compartment, and finally down to the left-side cowl connector block. There are five connectors (module, 2x 12-pin, 2x 26-pin) to be attached and two taps.

Wiring Diagram
    On the diagram, to the left of Connector F reads (left to right) "Ignition Switch" and "Reverse Switch". The Reverse Switch is tapped (using the included tap) from the 64-pin connector (Connector F) in the passenger-side cowl panel. You tap pin#29, which is said to be a red wire, with the red-green wired tap (black connector). The Ignition Switch is tapped from the 40-pin connector (Connector G) in the passenger-side instrument panel J/B. You tap pin#1, which is said to be a blue wire, with the yellow wired tap (white connector). See the picture below titled "reverse_mirrors_taps.jpg" for more information.

The Module Controller is labeled Connector A (16-pin). Here are the pin/wire color codes:

Module Controller (Connector A)
    1..... M+ Out... red-yellow
    2..... MV In..... green
    3..... MV Out... green-white
    5..... MH In..... blue
    6..... MH Out... blue-white
    8..... +B......... red
    9..... M+ In..... red-white
    12... REV........ red-green
    14... IG.......... yellow
    16... GND....... white-black

The box on the top right with the two encircled 'M's inside is labeled the Left Door Mirror (which is passenger-side in Japan).

The module connects to the 12-pin and 26-pin connectors in the passenger-side cowl panel. The 12-pin connectors are labeled Connector B (female) and Connector C (male). The 26-pin connectors are labeled Connector D (female) and Connector E (male).

The 12-pin connectors
    4..... GND....... white-black
    6..... +B......... red
    10... M+ In..... red-white (Connector C)
    10... M+ Out... red-yellow (Connector B)

The 26-pin connectors
    10... MV In..... green (Connector E)
    10... MV Out... green-white (Connector D)
    22... MH In..... blue (Connector E)
    22... MH Out... blue-white (Connector D)

------------------
    So it looks like the critical information we need from the American wiring diagram is:

12-pin connector (NL2)
    4..... GND....... white-black (from US "Mirror Heater Wiring Diagram")
    6..... +B......... red (from US "Power Window Wiring Diagram")
    pin# of M+

5..... WFR- ... blue (from US "NAV System Wiring Diagram")
    12... WFR+ ... blue-green (from US "NAV System Wiring Diagram")

26-pin connector (NL1) - UNCHANGED
    10... MV......... blue-green (from US "Remote Control Mirror Wiring Diagram")
    22... MH......... yellow (from US "Remote Control Mirror Wiring Diagram")

9..... M+......... green (from US "Remote Control Mirror Wiring Diagram")

40-pin connector
    pin# of IG

64-pin connector (LS1) -
    pin# of REV

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the US? I would check techinfo.toyota but I'm not sure if the library is complete (says only available content is published for 2010), and I'd rather not spend $15 to find out it isn't there.

If someone can tell me the correct pin-assignments for the US, I can figure out how to re-pin the wiring harness so that it will (hopefully) work in the US.

Attached Files:

2. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I currently have the TIS subscription and I'd be happy to look this up for you, but I'm not quite sure exactly where to look. Can you point me toward the right search or how to find the information you need? I haven't done much with the wiring diagrams, so pretend I have no knowledge of the subject at all - point me to what you need and I'll try to find it.

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I loved the reverse tilt in my Caddy. I'll be looking into this mod.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am just curious, did you buy the Japanese version of the till mirror which is the left hand side or the US version on the right hand side?
    The Japanese instruction shows it is on the left side.

6. tasogare

tasogare New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not familiar with the layout of information in TIS but I suppose the Wiring Diagram or Accessory Installation Instructions sections might have it. Can you do a search for "mirror installation" or something similar? galaxee used the Remote Mirror Installation wiring diagram for the Gen 2.

Although this is for the left side (passenger-side in Japan), as galaxee said in the Gen 2 modification most of the wires are just pass through so as long as you have the right pins it should hopefully work in the US on the opposite side. I don't think the driver-side mirror is wired all the way to the passenger-side so whatever we are connecting to should be only for the passenger side. But, without the car's wiring diagram that is just a guess.

7. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did some searching and there is no tilt mirror accessory in the US, so no information available through that route. I do have the remote mirror wiring diagram, but I don't think I'm allowed to post it. So PM me your email address and I'll send it - maybe it will help, or at least point us in a direction.

1 person likes this.
  8. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi tasogare,

Well, I'll give it a try:

First: Not sure why you list the WFR+/- on your post - those are speaker connections and are not relevant. Don't try to connect anything to those - you could damage your NAV or speakers..

The MV, MH and M+ lines that you've already identified on the 26-pin connector (NL1) are all "Out"'s. These appear to be correct, except MV Out is actually light green (LG), not blue-green.

For the REV signal, they are apparently just tapping into one of the back-up light circuits. According to the Back-up Light EWD, you can either use:
    Pin 1 of LS1 (behind the passenger-side cowl) or
    Pin 29 of LR1. (behind the driver-side cowl.)
    These are both red wires.

Note that LR1 and LS1 look identical! LS1 looks easier to get to - it faces the seats; LR1 faces the side (fender).

For the IG wire, they are pointing to connector 2C on the Junction box assy. According to the Front Wiper and Washer EWD, Pin 1 of connector 2C is light blue (color is "L") and comes from the 15A Washer fuse, which would indeed be a switched (IG) line (and seldom used, so a good choice to power the module.)

OK, now the tough ones. So here are the remaining lines you're looking for:
    M+ in
    MV in
    MH in
    The polarity of the combination of the M+ and MH or MV pair is what determines motor direction. (At least that's what I'm assuming with your module - that's how it works in the factory configuration.)

Without the full instructions, it's a bit tough to tell how this module works - but here's what I'm going to assume (danger, Will Robinson...):

It appears that the module takes a polarized input between M+ In and either MV In or MH In, and either:
    - feeds that directly to the mirror (through MV+ out, and MV Out or MH out) if the reverse signal is not present (backup light not on); OR:
    - if reverse signal is present, it feeds its own "down" signal to the mirror through the same outputs. (not sure why they even need to tap into the horizontal signal - does it move it down and to the side, too?)

Again, these are assumptions. IF THESE ASSUMPTIONS ARE CORRECT, then what you ought to do is at the NL1 connections, you "cut" the existing wire coming out of the NL1 connector (leave enough room to splice!) The wire that goes toward the existing mirror switch assembly (toward the NL1 connector) would connect to the "In" connection of the module, and the wire that is no longer connected to NL1 would connect to the "Out" connection of the module.

If the module doesn't "pass through" the signal as I described, then the connections should be simple "taps" like the other connections. But that would kind of defeat the purpose of separate ins and outs. (?!) In that case, you would connect both the in and out of each type to the same NL1 connection point.

I sure hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  9. tasogare

tasogare New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm about to head out on vacation for a few weeks but in the meanwhile I thought I'd post the entire manual (in Japanese) in case it is helpful.

Attached Files:

10. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you ever complete this install? I'm interested in doing the same thing.

11. tasogare

tasogare New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think I have all the information to make this mod but because my dealer told me I would void my warranty if I carried out the mod I haven't done so yet.

12. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's just BS. You won't "void" your manufacturer's warranty. Like any mod, if you make a mistake and break or miswire something, that damage would not be covered by your warranty -- and you would know about it real soon. Likewise, the reverse tilt module would not be covered by your manufacturer's warranty (but it may have its own warranty).

If you own the car, then you can modify it. To actually decline warranty repairs, the dealer would have to prove that you caused the damage. So if you do the mod and next month your exhaust falls off or your brake system fails, you will be covered. Even if you had some sort of electrical problem down the road, it's unlikely to result from a working reverse tilt module and the dealer would be foolish to try to decline warranty coverage. And frankly, I don't know why the dealer would even be motivated to go down that road.

Curious: why would a dealer sell you a JDM part and then claim that you can't install it?

13. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How exactly does the reverse module work? My gf and I share the car and we use different positions for all mirrors. Does the JDM adjust to this?

iPhone ?

14. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did a search online and found this module. It is for most Toyota vehicles equipped with auto power fold mirrors and added reverse tilt feature. I wonder if it fits Prius since they didn't specify. It costs only US$70 but they don't ship international.
    [​IMG]

15. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BMWs I've driven all adjust to a single, pre-set position... maybe time for a new girlfriend... or at least one that's more flexible :pound:

16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever happened to this?

17. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I ended up buying this.

Works great!

*EDIT* Are links to external sites blocked? The link won't save.

I bought the module from TokenSolutions.com and it's a mirror tilt module for Scion and Lexus. Works great for my Prius. Unfortunately I don't have a walk through to install it. It was a crazy busy weekend.

18. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's .net, not .com, which is probably the reason for the difference. It's this one, correct? Toyota/Lexus/Scion Mirror Tilt Module

19. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tokensolutions.net is the right site. That is the one I purchased.

20. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    peterjmc, have you got around installing this ?

did you purchase the single or the deluxe module ? whats the difference ?

thanks