1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse tilt mirror module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by galaxee, Jul 11, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH finally had an afternoon to sit out in the car and tinker, so we did the reverse tilt module. And it works!

First, many props to naterprius who was the first to try this, i believe, and who documented a whole lot of what he did, as well as bobc who was happy to collaborate with us in trying to figure it out, and stopped DH after he fried his own module. Also, the whole thing wouldn't have happened without car, who asked DH to figure this out and sent his module for testing/rewiring.

Now. On to the instructions. DH looked at how naterprius and bobc went about it, and decided well hell. that's a crazy amount of work when there are exactly 4 wires that do anything and the rest are pass through. He rearranged the pins his own way and the rest was plug and play. So here we go...

1. do your pin swaps in the harness.

- battery +
    red wire, pin 13 on both input and output.
    swap with violet wire, pin 12.

[​IMG]

becomes

[​IMG]

-motor +
    red and white wire, input pin 4
    red and yellow wire, output pin 4
    swap with orange wire, pin 2.

[​IMG]

becomes

[​IMG]

-motor horizontal
    blue wire, input pin 6
    blue and white, output pin 6
    swap with black wire, pin 11.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

become

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

-motor vertical
    green wire, input pin 5
    green and white wire, output pin 5
    swap with brown wire, pin 3.

[​IMG]

becomes

[​IMG]

plug into IL1 connector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ign switched power

tap the power socket up front on the passenger side.

3. reverse signal

tap IF1 (on driver's side), red wire, pin 6. there is a long wire provided for this.

[​IMG]

4. ground

use a ground screw or bolt.

[​IMG]

and tada! reverse tilt works.

2. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Reverse tilt mirror? what the heck is that? Pics of what OP is talkina bout?

3. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bravo to your DH, Galaxee. Great pictures that tell the story.

I have never had reverse tilt mirrors and never thought I would want them, but now maybe I can see the usefulness. We are now renting a house near Crossville, TN for a vacation, with a driveway that has raised stone along its side and I find myself tilting the mirrors when backing down the drive, and then readjusting to normal when on the road. i just can't get used to the "fisheye" rearview camera for this.

4. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ohhh, I get it. My friends bmw 730i had those, they're pretty sweet.

5. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Thank you, thank you Galaxee for posting this wonderful MOD! I've been waiting for several months now since I got my tilt module for someone to figure this out. I did it tonight and IT WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!

Thank you again!

Vince.

PS. Now, I'm just waiting for a posting on how to rewire the auto fold module. :D

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It seems that the provided harness with the module is all backward.
    Great Job to both of you on the detailed technical.-

PS: will you drive the Prius to Hybridfest 2007

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we'll arrive in madison sometime that saturday afternoon. have yet to calculate drive time from here.

the module isn't ours, it belongs to car, we just made it work and then sent it back to him :)

8. norton

norton New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 13 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]478082[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, is this a service you are providing/selling?
    Awesome work on this mod. Odd how much I miss this feature from my old car...

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we could rewire harnesses for a charge if people were interested. we've got a really big engine/trans rewire/swap project going on now so we wouldn't have time but once the other car is up and running, don't see why not.

10. bobc

bobc New Member

Well cool!

so glad that you got this!!! I'll have to re-visit this and see what I hooked up wrong and if my module will still work.

the first step in your instructions:

"- battery +
    red wire, pin 13 on both input and output.
    swap with violet wire, pin 12."

What's running through the #12 pin in the car that supplies constant power? I wa looking for womething like this before I settled on the door courtesy light which has constant power (Red wire).

congrats again,

Cheers,
    -bob

11. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 11 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]476948[/snapback]</div>
    OK, the tilt module finally came from Sigma and I started to do the pin swaps. I pried up the connector's locking bar, but I can't seem to find the trick to get the little catch on the pin to release. On the mating side of the connector, there is a "T" shaped hole above each pin (the crossbar of the "T" is very thin, the vertical bar is very fat). I have been fiddling around with a very small jewler's screwdriver in that hole, but can't seem to find the release.

I looked in the wiring repair manual, but there seems like several hundred connectors are listed and the pictures of releasing what they call the "lance" are not very clear.

Any hints?

Thanks!

Tom

12. bigdementia

bigdementia New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Great post Galaxee!!!
    Couple of questions... Can two of these modules be used to tilt both mirrors and would it be possible to wire in a toggle switch, along with the reverse signal, to tilt both mirrors on demand (such as when some jack@ss is riding my @ss with highbeams) ?

13. bobc

bobc New Member

East Berkshire,

The one module will tilt both mirrors.

And yes, you could a a switch to tilt the mirrors at will! It may not work as you want them, tho (sorry). That's because of the tilt angle. You can adjust the amount that the mirrors tilt down anywhere from 2.3degrees to 6.1degrees. You may be able to find a setting that is correct for aiming backwards but you would also need the mirrors to tilt outward quite a bit so the light hitting them reflects back at almost a 0 degree angle and not the relatively large angle that they are set at now so that you can see behind you....

But, a switch could easily be installed that supplies power to the module, just like the reverse wire does, that sneds the module into action. Or, conversely, if folks don't want to always have the mirrors tilt downward when in reverse, a switch could be installed on the reverse signal wire leading to the module that keeps the current from reaching the module....

Cheers,
    -bob

14. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Aug 24 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]501599[/snapback]</div>
    Use the metal spine of a common twist-tie. Like used on a bread-loaf bag. Strip away most of the paper and insert into hole in plug face. that will release the connector.

15. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Sep 6 2007, 05:11 AM) [snapback]507835[/snapback]</div>
    Got it, Thanks! Found out I was trying to move it in the wrong direction. You need to go from near the center towards the outside of the connector shell, not the other way around.

- Tom

16. bigdementia

bigdementia New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ Sep 5 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]507551[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info Bob, I guess I'll have to try this mod next! -EBC

17. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Reverse tilt side mirror is a good feature that is useful in some special situation.
    I have that feature on my BMW. I only used probably less than 10 times, because once you see the ground you can't see what is behind you (unless you could adjust the angle just right for youself).
    The point is simple, you would want a switch to turn it off because, in my case, I don't use it unless I really need to see what is next to my rear tire (right side only on BMW).