1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reversed polarity jump - no blown fuses - any help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusnoober, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Priusnoober

Priusnoober New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there! First time poster (A little bit of a lurker here) and I wish I was posting under better circumstances.

Ya’ll are all great, and it’s always been a help to learn about maintenance and new ideas! Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry I know there are other similar threads but I read and read and couldn’t find my answer this time.

ok, so we have a 2007 Prius, that has been sitting for awhile. Well we finally got around to trying to get it going again after a family healthy situation. It was running fine when parked and has been sitting a few months.

we got everything set up to jump it off and the infamous mistake was made... it was a accident and we should have been paying better attention.

So in a nutshell-

jumped car improperly-reversed polarity
    there was a spark off of the negative cable in the Prius (ground) didn’t hear a pop but immediately realized what had happened and disconnected. A
    After some expletives - we check everything and put the cables in right -position.

no lights or electricity seem to be working. ( dead battery and hooked to another car)
    No interior lights or dash
    No ignition button light

we proceed to check the fuses under the hood.
    We checked the large main fuse under the + terminal it appears untouched
    We checked the dome fuse and all the rest of the fuses.
    All visually seem unaffected.
    We then moved to the back aux battery fuses and they as well seem unaffected as well.

We will check the them more thoroughly tomorrow with volt meter and new battery..

my question to everyone is-
    are these symptoms of a inverter failure or ecu failure?
    I have heard the dc/dc converter can go out in the inverter, if so, would it 100% blow a fuse somewhere?

Are there any other fuses or fuse able links that could have been damaged?

thank you all so much for your help!
    The noobs

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check them all with an ohm meter for continuity. don't rely on visual

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes pull every fuse in the car. usually blows the dome fuse. Under hood and kick panel in drivers seat.Pull them out one at a time and use an ohmmeter and pray you have a blown open fuse.

Never ever jump start a g2 jumping directly to the battery that's guaranteed mistake. use the front jump point. Its in the owners manual.

Do all you can to never have a bad 12 volt battery seen this scenario so many times.